Where did I go wrong?

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made marmalade for the first time today. All went well until the end. It came out very thick and quite stiff, especially the one I put in the fridge. Definitely not very jelly-like or very spreadable. Shouldn't it be thinner?

I only made a half batch of what the recipe calls for, so I used half the package of pectin. Could that be it? I also used dried cranberries instead of fresh but I don't see that making a big difference.

Please share your marmalade experiences.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'd say the use of dried vs. fresh would be a problem, because of maybe the lack of moisture from the dried ones causes it to be a stiffer product. Just guessing though...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It's likely the dried berries. Did you add anything to compensate for the lack of moisture in the dry fruit?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I'd say the use of dried vs. fresh would be a problem, because of maybe the lack of moisture from the dried ones causes it to be a stiffer product. Just guessing though...
ya beat me to it ;)

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Aargh! Makes total sense! I should've hydrated them first. :smack Well, I can always make more.

Any other tips before I give this another try?

Oh, and should I just toss this batch or are there any other uses for this? I suppose I could put it over a pork roast, or heat it with some water and use as a glaze...... Your ideas?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I never toss things like that. I'd use it as a sauce over meat if nothing else. Might be good on pork chops :)

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I never toss things like that. I'd use it as a sauce over meat if nothing else. Might be good on pork chops :)
That's what I was thinking. Good thing I didn't make a full batch huh? lol!

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Next question- How would those of you reading go about Hydrating the cranberries for next time? Would you just add more water to the mixture, soak them in water, for how long and how much water?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey some of those kitchen "accidents' turn out GREAT!! I accidntally made strawberry syrup trying to make jam once, and the kids begged for more ;) It sounds like you made cranberry sauce. Maybe slice it to serve with some chicken and dressing if it isn't TOO sweet.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
dma1974 said:
Next question- How would those of you reading go about Hydrating the cranberries for next time? Would you just add more water to the mixture, soak them in water, for how long and how much water?
I'd soak them in water for a couple hours. Maybe one part water, one part berries and see how that does. If they need more water than that it's easy to add more, but too much might make a soupy mess and be a pain.