Where do you get your heirloom seeds?

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I noticed all of the seeds I bought are modified in some way and I would like to stock up on heirloom seeds for next year. Where do ya'll get your seeds from? Is there a website you prefer or do you have a personal dealer?

Thanks! :)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
southernexposure.com

Southern exposure seed exchange.....based in Va but supplies heirloom seeds that are native to the southeast area.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
I noticed all of the seeds I bought are modified in some way and I would like to stock up on heirloom seeds for next year. Where do ya'll get your seeds from? Is there a website you prefer or do you have a personal dealer?
You don't have *modified* seeds -- you may have hybrid seeds but that is not GMO, it just means the two parents are from different strains so the plants you grow won't necessarily breed true. Like a "designer mutt" dog, or sexlink chickens. There is nothing actually artificial or unwholesome about 'em, they just don't always work as well for seed-saving as open pollinated stable varieties do.

By "heirloom" I think probably what you mean is stable, open-pollinated varieties, i.e. ones you whose seed offspring (if you prevent outcrossing) will be pretty much like the parent plants. Most of them are *also* at least fifty or so years old, but note that some o/p varieties ARE still being developed commercially today, in some types of vegetables.

Anyhow, anything listed as "open-pollinated" in a catalog (or alternatively "heirloom" - some catalogs have figured out what's trendy terminology <g>) will do ya fine. Lots and lots of catalogs have some, or predominantly, o/p varieties. Pinetree, Johnny's, Vermont Bean, and Cook's come immediately to mind but they are not necessarily superior to the bazillions of OTHER catalogs out there that carry similar inventory. (And in many cases they get it from the same suppliers anyhow)

If you are looking for more catalog/website names, there have been a bunch of threads on 'whats your favorite seed source company' on this forum, some time with the 'search' function should turn them up.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I love all of Baker Creeks Seed but you better know what grows in your area or you will end up with bunch of stuff that is not suited for your area and then think bad seed. Victory Seed company is also great.

For the last 2 years I have ordered from both companies and all the seed I have started have come up. (Note: I did not say they all lived cause I killed 200 cabbage seedlings myself this year).

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Your computer has a stutter :D

I also get seeds from Baker Creek.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I won't be able to get a garden started this year, but, this knowledge on this forum and sister forum will benefit next year's garden.

Latest posts