Where do you get your kefir/kombucha starters?

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've made real kefir with the grains, I've been using the packets and I know it's not the same. Now that I have a steady supply of raw milk I want to obtain grains again. I've been looking at a few ebay sellers, but thought perhaps there might be recommendations here. I'm also wanting to start making kombucha as well. I've never made it, instead we've bought the wonder drink ones from the HFS. Recommendations on that would be great too.

Or are there sellers here? I can post in the buy/sell/trade area if it there are.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was wondering this myself. Although I haven't tried either of them yet.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy to send both of you some kefir grains if you'd like :)

I just received a huge one on Monday and I'm in the process of drying my extra after finding out I don't need nearly so much (you can see a photo in my journal). Feel free to PM me your mailing address, and I'll send them as soon as they are dry.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can culture kombucha from a commercial bottle of it like I do ACV? There are a couple of brands at our local co-op that aren't pasturized. I suppose I can search through the old lengthy thread on kombucha... OK, I'm lazy. :p

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
valmom said:
Does anyone know if you can culture kombucha from a commercial bottle of it like I do ACV? There are a couple of brands at our local co-op that aren't pasturized. I suppose I can search through the old lengthy thread on kombucha... OK, I'm lazy. :p
I know what you mean! Too bad we weren't a little closer. I have some of both I could share!

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our7Wonders and Homemaker,
I don't know where you live, but here on the west coast, there are often people on craigslist who are offering free kombucha mushrooms. Try checking it. Sometimes I'll see them one week, then not again for a week or two. I'm just in the process of getting my supplies together to try it for the first time, too. BTW,
thehealthyhomeeconomist.com has some great videos on making this (and lots of other cool stuff, too).

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've gotten all of mine from internet friends. I currently don't have any to share, but I think you'll find plenty who will. Most people just ask for you to cover shipping costs.

Yes you can make your own Kombucha SCOBY from a bottle of commercial kombucha, but it must be raw kombucha, such as GT's.

Buy a bottle of plain kombucha. Depending on where you live, it may already have a SCOBY in it. Every single one we got in FL always had a SCOBY in it. Here in AK I never find one from the store with a SCOBY already growing. A SCOBY already growing may be clear, so you may have to look closely. It may be floating on the top or anywhere between.

If there is a SCOBY, simply fish it out with something clean. Place the SCOBY and 1 C of the kombucha in a sterilized quart jar. Boil 3 C of water (NEVER use tap water! Always use well, or bottled water, the chlorine in city water will kill the SCOBY) in a pan with a lid (or later add more water to equal 3) As soon as it boils remove it off the heat, wait until it stops boiling and add the tea bags (about 3 bags, remove tags). Stir in 1/4 C sugar until dissolved. Any is fine, a lot of folks say it must be storebought white sugar, but I have used dehydrated cane juice for years with nary a problem, and I NEVER get mold. Let the tea come to room temperature. When the tea is room temperature discard the tea bags, and add the tea to the jar. Cover the jar with a kitchen towl (not terry) or cheesecloth and rubber band it so flies cannot get in. Leave in it a warm place,(70-80F) where it will not be distured or be subject to direct sunlight. After 3-4 days start tasting your kombucha every day to see how it is progressing it. You want to bottle it while it has just a little bit of sweetness remaining. But not too much or else you could end up with an alcoholic beverage! After it is just at that "just right" stage, take out 3 C of Kombucha, and replace with 3 C room temperature sweetened tea. You can either drink you kombucha plain, or we like to add some frozen juice concentrate (grape is wonderful!) and bottle it in old GT's bottles. We let it sit for another 3-4 days to build up fizz, and whala, your own homemade grape "soda". :)

If you do not see a SCOBY already, then repeat the instructions above, only using 3 C kombucha instead of 1. 1 C tea with 1/4 sugar. You should see the SCOBY forming within 2 weeks.

After your SCOBY gets about half an inch or so thick you can upgrade to a gallon container. Just increase the amounts of sugar, kombucha, and tea praportionally. I use a 3 gallon water crock for mine so my measurements may have not been completely accurate. I use 3 C sugar, 20 tea bags (or 1/4 C loose leaf), for the 3 gallon crock. My crock is ready every 4 days, and that is not enough for my husband and I! I would be making another crock full, but I loaned it out to someone until they can get one of their own.

once you are to your desired crock/jar size then keep your SCOBy under 1/2" thick. Any more and you may end up with kombucha vinegar. Don't discard the vinegar. If you can't use it yourself then give it to your animals. My goats aren't crazy about the taste but it works wonders for preventing bloat!