Where/how do you incubate your yogurt?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I also heat up a cooler with hot water, dump it out right before putting the yogurt in, and put a jar of hot water in it (replaced regularly when it cools) to keep everything warm. It works well.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I can't do it that way, because I fill my cooler with jars of yogurt. It only holds three quart jars. So I fill the space between the jars with water.

I have an insulated water bucket I made a few years ago for my horse that will hold 5 quarts. It is a five gallon pail set inside a bushel muck bucket with packing peanuts in between the two, and a ring of plywood on top, Great Stuff to fill the spaces. Works great to keep water from freezing in the barn, and now it works great as an ice bucket and drink cooler for yard parties, a yogurt incubator for big batches, and a great way to keep large batches of catfood cool while canning (I put another five gallon pail in it to make clean up easier.)

KarbonCinq

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
<he looks at the floor>

Um, we just plug our little yogurt makery thing into the wall and set the dial.

Until just now, I thought it was pretty cool that we made our own.

I have so much to learn. :rolleyes:

DW is never gonna go for the couch pillow option! :lol:

Oh, that's funny.

kyrochka

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have been using a very simple recipe from my Yugoslavian friend. Warm your oven, so it's warm but not hot. Place 1/2 gal of room temperature milk mixed with 12 oz of organic plain store bought yogurt in the oven overnight. Check in the morning - if not done, let it stay until noon. Enjoy!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
kyrochka said:
I have been using a very simple recipe from my Yugoslavian friend. Warm your oven, so it's warm but not hot. Place 1/2 gal of room temperature milk mixed with 12 oz of organic plain store bought yogurt in the oven overnight. Check in the morning - if not done, let it stay until noon. Enjoy!
This is how my Armenian Godmother taught me..with directions like, when it is hot but not too hot to touch etc. I never did it, but now that you reminded me, I'm going to try!! THANKS!
ETA Welcome!!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yes--that's easy! Leaving on the stove light helps maintain the temp a bit.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I just bought a yougurt maker for 50 cents at goodwill last week, went out this week to buy some yogurt to use as starter. It has small cups to make it in, but then it's only me and the chickens eating it, so I think it will do. Now I have to go and find some milk on sale...Mmm yogurt with homemade blackberry jam...Is it tomorrow yet? Maybe that yogurt in the fridge won't last long enough to be starter. I'm getting the late night munchies. :lol: