Where should small dogs live?

mekasmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I had a friend who was looking for a home for a Scotty...a wonderful 2 yr. spayed female with a charming personality and extreme intelligence. We bonded the moment we met and I think she is great. This friend doesn't see her appeal and doesn't want her.

Until recently this dog has mainly been an inside dog but has very much enjoyed staying on this woman's farm and romping outside with the cow dogs and such.

Anyhoo...since my older dog is living her last summer and we are open to opportunities for a companion dog to my other outside dog, I told her I was interested in this pooch.

She stated, "But...this is an INSIDE dog!".
I have chihuahuas, and part of the contract that I had the new owners sign when they purchased a puppy demanded they be an indoor dog. Now, these are less than 5lb dogs, so I don't know what the size comparison is for the scotty you mentioned. But, yes, I believe some dogs must be kept inside. Obviously, if you were talking about a forty pound dog or bigger with long hair, I would have no issues with it being an outside dog. My LGDs are outside dogs, but they are over 100lbs each rather than 3 or 4 pounds.

On the other part of your post, I won't let a cat into the house. They always stayed out in the buildings where we fed them. I don't have any right now. I'm really not a cat person.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
I think that dog would be very happy with you and your farm. It's a shame she has closed her mind on the subject.
I agree.
I think you need to be very tricky. Is there ANYBODY you know that she WOULD approve of taking Scotty, who could "foster" the dog, and then let you re-home her?
This woman is a certifiable idiot. I've met a few of these. One that I met lived on a farm, found a cat she didn't want, but wouldn't let me take the cat because I lived on a farm. Can't argue with or fix STUPID!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Now here is a truly honest question for Mekasmom....why do small dogs belong inside instead of outside? I've never really understood that at all and have always wondered.

Cats are pretty small and do well outside. I know some of the smaller breeds have thinner fur but I've also seen, when left outside, they develop thicker fur to adapt to the climate.

I know that Scottish terriers are hunting dogs and are pretty large for the small dog breeds...at least this one is and her teeth and head are as large as my younger lab mix's. Jack Russell Terriers are pretty small but their energy levels alone should dictate that they be outside and have plenty of space for running.

I'm wondering where and when this size standard started and why?

If someone told all you people that large dogs should never be kept indoors you would flip! :p

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really think it depends on the dog. I can tell you that my rat terrier mix wouldn't do well left outside all the time. But some of those small dogs have a great fur coat on them and I would think they would do fine. Also depends on their housing. I would think anymore that it would be more important how well they are taken care of than anything but some rescues really are extremely strict about the dog being an indoor dog.

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We have two pit bulls that came from outside ( as puppies) and live on our covered carport in a 20x 10 run together. They love it. they are actually quite hairy . . . we got them in april so i dont know what we'll do about the winter but i think it will be outside days and inside at night. . . in crates.

my female pit bull lives inside. shes loose when we're here, crated if we're not. sleeps in the bed every night.

my lab and lab mix are loose but indoors..they are old and did not tolerate the GA move well ( CT to GA was rough for them)

our new pup- a boston terrier- will be indoor/outdoor.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My sis used to have a Boston T that lived indoors all the time until she moved to a farm and she has since lived outdoors, from what I hear. Seems she loves it and is doing well.

Dogs acclimatize to the environment if left outside to develop a winter coat. I would imagine this is the same with all dogs, no matter the size....well, maybe not the Mexican hairless breed, but, who knows? :p

I would say that a dog kept indoors all year and let outside in the winter to do his business is definitely going to shiver and not do well outside....he hasn't developed a thick coat for the season.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would think a Scottish terrier especially, since the breed ORIGINATES in Scotland would do fine out doors. I didn't realize that Scotland was known as place of mild temperatures and fine climate. ;)

I think all dogs should have sufficient shelter and food for them as individuals. My Husky mix certainly will do better in deep snow that a small dog with short legs. That does NOT mean that they should never go outside however. Common sense dictates that a dog should not be required to stay in extreme temperatures or in snow that is deeper than their legs are tall. I bring my Husky in when temps are extreme (hot as well as cold).

I also had a Grandma (Nettie) who was a firm believer that ALL dogs stayed outside. Her Papillion (!!) lived exclusively outdoors for all of her 14 years. She had an insulated dog house, and the snow was cleared for her so she could maneuver without plowing through drifts. She weighed all of 10 pounds which was a bit larger than most of her breed, but she not only survived - she thrived!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
God did design these animals for outside living. I can't imagine anyone bringing their miniature horse indoors in extreme temps or even their goats~well....except you crazy goat people! ;) :lol:

I don't think God made any mistakes on that point...fur bearing means outdoor living. No fur or very little fur~us~indoor living or hibernation.

My parents would never let any animals inside the house and thought that was a filthy way to live.

Come to think of it...when I was growing up, I don't recall us ever buying dog or cat food past the kitten or puppy stage. After that first bag or two of food they were expected to eat table scraps or hunt for their food. Our animals were always healthy...never had any type of trouble in that way.

Funny how things have changed over the years. :/

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, I must have been abusive!! 10+/- chihuahuas and terriers, all ranch dogs :cool:

They could go indoors or outdoors, but always came outside to walk/do chores!!

No, little dogs should be treated like any other dog with certain things kept in mind (ie a pug may not be able to be a ranch dog because of potential breathing issues from running around. Or poms may need to be shaved.)

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mekasmom said:
Beekissed said:
I had a friend who was looking for a home for a Scotty...a wonderful 2 yr. spayed female with a charming personality and extreme intelligence. We bonded the moment we met and I think she is great. This friend doesn't see her appeal and doesn't want her.

Until recently this dog has mainly been an inside dog but has very much enjoyed staying on this woman's farm and romping outside with the cow dogs and such.

Anyhoo...since my older dog is living her last summer and we are open to opportunities for a companion dog to my other outside dog, I told her I was interested in this pooch.

She stated, "But...this is an INSIDE dog!".
I have chihuahuas, and part of the contract that I had the new owners sign when they purchased a puppy demanded they be an indoor dog. Now, these are less than 5lb dogs, so I don't know what the size comparison is for the scotty you mentioned. But, yes, I believe some dogs must be kept inside. Obviously, if you were talking about a forty pound dog or bigger with long hair, I would have no issues with it being an outside dog. My LGDs are outside dogs, but they are over 100lbs each rather than 3 or 4 pounds.

On the other part of your post, I won't let a cat into the house. They always stayed out in the buildings where we fed them. I don't have any right now. I'm really not a cat person.
I dont see why? All of ours were 3-4lbs, with 7lb being the huge one. Obviously you take a greater risk of them getting smushed by the horses, but thats where training comes in.

It was my labrador puppy that got smushed by the horses :smack