where to buy or make cloth sanitary napkins

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
there are instruction on this subject please advise.....

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Try material from old cotton t-shirts. You can pin them to your undies, but pins will eventually wreck your underwear. When I was young, a zillion years ago, we used pads but they hooked into an elastic belt worn around the waist. Less slippage that way.

My grandmother, born in 1900, told me that in her time, women used cotton cloths when they menstruated. On laundry day, after they washed them, they spread them out on the lawn to dry. The chlorophyll from the grass bleached the cloth.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
For what it's worth, many Native American tribes used sphagnum moss for both diapers and sanitary napkins. :hide

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made 3 sets for myself and my two daughters using this pattern: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/PADS.html

I cut out 3 layers of flannel and a bottom layer of rubberized flannel, then serge all the layers together around the edges--I didn't follow the instructions on the site and I didn't sew around the "pad" shape.

I sewed bits of velcro onto the wings for my daughters, but mine (which I made first) are just fine staying put without any way of attaching them.

One bit of advice, since I didn't make longer "night time" ones, I double up two pads to make one longer pad that is double thick in the middle. Works great.

I don't soak mine before washing, just pop them into a lidded pail and toss them into the wash whenever I wash towels or dark laundry.

Mine are going on 7 years old now, and still going strong :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi gals
It's been a while since I visited the forum!

I read that a no-sew way would be to just use cheap washcloths. Fold them to the width that you need and the bulk is supposed to help them stay in place. I don't know what you could use to prevent leakage - maybe cut some of the rubberized flannel that moolie mentioned and place a strip in the bottom fold of the washcloth?

A lidded plastic coffee container makes an easy soaking/holding bucket. Some water with a TBSP of vinegar and you're good to go.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
For what it's worth, many Native American tribes used sphagnum moss for both diapers and sanitary napkins. :hide
Sphangum Moss? What about chiggers? Talk about crotch cooties........ :lol:

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses, with times the way they are ......who knows trying to think ahead....Thanks again

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
baymule said:
Denim Deb said:
Sphangum Moss? What about chiggers? Talk about crotch cooties........ :lol:
I don't know if they had a way to prepare it or not. But, they used it dry. I forget how many times it's own weight it will hold. It's also been used as a wound dressing for really messy wounds.

Latest posts