Where's the "taters in a bucket" thread?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Modernpioneer does them in a custom basket and Ldy2chef did them in buckets. Not sure if Kris's thread is still available. Maybe look it up on YouTube. It's pretty basic. Potato, dirt. grow.

good luck,

g

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Modernpioneer does them in a custom basket and Ldy2chef did them in buckets. Not sure if Kris's thread is still available. Maybe look it up on YouTube. It's pretty basic. Potato, dirt. grow.

good luck,

g
It's my job to make things more complicated (just ask DH)...;)

Don't you need sandy soil for taters? What if I have clay? Can I buy sand & mix it in? Can I use store-bought taters to start or do I have to buy seed taters from the feed store?

Specifics, please! :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I got a Little Tykes toy box at a garage sale for $5. Painted it black, filled it full of poopy duck straw, topped it off with some top soil and planted sweet potato slips in it. I actually have potatoes, but they are small. Since we have a short growing season, and I used regular garnet sweet taters (LONG season), I am lucky to have gotten anything at all. It was an experiment but I am calling it a success. I also planted some in feed bags with some holes poked in the bottom and filled with the same mix. Got taters there too.

Next year I am going to get some short season sweet potato slips and do it again.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had old tractors tires around the barn and hoisted a 4 tire pile column

then planted away and those taters did wonderful

justcelia

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We grew potatoes in two BIG garbage cans. Drill drainage holes. spread 6 inches of good fertil soil, set the potatoe eyes, then cover them with a 1/2 inch of soil. As they grow, spread mulch to the bottom of the top most leaves, repeat as they grow. Worked great!
2667_5-21-09_6.jpg

2667_garden_5-31-09.jpg

My SO told my 5 year old gradnson they were going hunting in the back yard and they had to eat what they "caught". He was offended at the idea of looking for food in a garbage can :)

They ended up with potatoes, tomatoes, green beans and broccoli.
Fried it all up in butter and he was tickled to death that they had "hunted" and ate their "catch". :)

Celia
2 Brahma hens and a Yorkie

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
stack up old tires into a column

grows great taters, I did it and it works wonderful

tires is something we have alot of at the barns lol

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does it have to be farm equipment tires, or will regular car/truck tires work too? Guess my question is - is there an inner diameter that is too small, or to stay above xx inches?