Which brands for meat grinder, pressure canner, grain mill, sheller?

Libertyhomestead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi All. I'm looking to buy a good quality meat grinder to turn our extra roosters into yummy frankfurters and ground chicken. Anyone know which brands are considered high quality and would last for years and years of use? I see the name Weston a lot and like the #5 model but I do not want to buy until I know what's out there and what is considered a good brand.

I'm also looking for high quality brands for a pressure canner, grain mill, and bean sheller.

This will be the first year on our new homestead we are building and I'm excited about finally having the space to grow enough to make canning and sausage making a good investment.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I love my Presto 23-quart pressure canner, but the really serious one is the All-American. I can't use this one on my ceramic-top stove, so keep that in mind.

I use my KitchenAid stand mixer with grinding attachment for the smaller amounts of meat I grind....I wouldn't attempt a major project, but it would be fine for a few chickens, and has other uses, too.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So far, I'm using the Kitchen Aid for all meat and grain grinding.....and straining, etc, etc, etc,.....Yes, I have all the attachments. It works okay but if I ever wanted to really go into production and process a whole pork butt or 25 pounds of grain I'd really need a couple of bigger more specialized pieces of equipment.
As for my canner nothing but All American will do. I love that canner and it has it's own spot in the kitchen since I use it so frequently.