Which breed ~ For self sufficieny purposes?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well in a mere few hours the red hens should be making their way to a new home where they can free range to their hearts content (and hopefully get a bum wash, some of them are kind of grubby).

So despite Performance Poultry's ordering system not being up yet I am mulling over breeds, from a self-sufficieny standpoint.

We have 5 easter eggers already who lay fairly well but I would like some brown egg layers too.

Criteria they need to meet:

Available at Performance Poultry (or if you're Canadian and you know a breeder within a couple hour drive, that'd be much appreciated!)

Cold hardy (prefer pea combs)

Lays well

Friendly

Good setters/brooders

Friendly roosters

Breeds I'm looking at now:

Wyandotte, according to Wiki lays 200 eggs a year with an exceptional hen laying 240 eggs a year. Friendly and docile, cold hardy.

If you see one you think would be great, let me know..

www.performancepoultry.com and click on "Poultry"

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Plymouth Rocks and RIR hens lay very well. I basically get an egg a day from them. But I would make sure the RIR are full RIR and not some type of mix.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we love our RIR's, barred rocks, and ... buckeyes! they are super feisty but good layers and have small combs and love to forage. they are doing great in our cold weather!

:)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm switching over to Buckeyes when it's time for a new flock. I have heard they are pretty good and since I'm in the Buckeye state, well it seems right :D My RIR's are pigs with feathers. My Brahmas also eat too much and have internal laying issues, and I love my EE's but nobody will buy green eggs.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I'm switching over to Buckeyes when it's time for a new flock. I have heard they are pretty good and since I'm in the Buckeye state, well it seems right :D My RIR's are pigs with feathers. My Brahmas also eat too much and have internal laying issues, and I love my EE's but nobody will buy green eggs.
LOL! My customers LOVE the green eggs, can't get enough of them. We had our flock split into RIR, EEs and BOs but I can't really see the sense in keeping the RIR and BOs when everyone wants the green eggs.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Buckeye Hens are friendly and good layers. Very cold tolerant. They seem to be the most intelligent in my flock.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's funny! Green eggs are just not catching on here. People still think brown eggs are somehow different than white eggs too, even though the birds eat the same diet.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have 3 silver laced wyandottes which are unfriendly to me, being cool, distant and more independent. They lay ok, not setting them above my other 6 varieties.
I call them my McNasties because they are just plain nasty to all the others, and one is a horrid feather picker so she is kept isolated. She will stalk to pick, despite an elevated protein amount and plenty of room. Just nuts or genetically off needing an abnormal amount of protein. I think nuts. Too much inbreeding? :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
buckeye lady said:
Buckeye Hens are friendly and good layers. Very cold tolerant. They seem to be the most intelligent in my flock.
Now I know how you got your user name. :)

I've got to check out the buckeyes...they sound like good hens.

I love blue-green hued eggs! That is why I purchased my Ameraucanas. Turns out they aren't the most prolific layers. :/ I live where the temps are mild year long. Give me a RIR and a BO anyday!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I like my barred rocks and light brahmas. I also have red sex-links, probably something like red stars and they are wonderful layers and surprisingly good foragers, friendly too. I wanted to try some speckled sussex and maybe some black australorps this year too.

Latest posts