Which Is The Cheapest State To Buy Acreage In?

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Once my hubby is done with his education, we plan on moving. We are looking at several states now. Providing that he can find work in said state, which ones have the most inexpensive land. We'd like 5-10 acres.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we just got 9.8 acres with a double wide (24x56 3 bdr 2 full baths and walk in closets in all rooms needing minor repairs) for 42,000 in wagener sc

here is another in manning sc near lake moultrie and manning (very popular fishing lakes) for 48,000 13 acres with a house in need of repair but the 13 acres are split with a road in between and they have been trying to sell it for atleast 2 months so they would probably accept more like 40-45,000 and its 2 hours from the beach and 1 1/2 hours from historic charleston sc

http://charleston.craigslist.org/grd/1370669866.html

you can usually find acres for 1500-2,000 if purchased with numerous acres at once in south carolina

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would think calling a realtor would be your berst bet regarding this. If the states are like Canada, different parts of each state could have differing markets. I know here in Ontario, Canada, land where I'm living now, your looking at about $5000 per acre for farm land. To buy a building lot, you can double it. When I lived up north, like waaayyyy north, you paid $5000 for the first acre that had athe house on it, and about $500-$1000 for every acre on top of that, and it wasn't unreasonable to buy a modest house with 160 acres for around $60,000-$100,000. Taxes were unbelievably cheap too.

I'm figuring the more remote an area, the cheaper the land will be.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I think to give an intelligent answer it would help to know what you want to DO with the land, b/c there is a difference between buying 10 acres of absolutely unfarmable northern swampland (with a tiny dry site for a house) or 10 acres of bone-dry no-water-rights-included land out West, versus 10 Kentucky acres that are very hilly but will actually grow some animals and a home garden, versus 10 flat "real agriculture" acres. So, whatcha wanting to *do* there?

Also, what climate type restrictions do you have-- very few people are equally willing to live in southern Arizona and northern Alaska ;)

Pat

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I think to give an intelligent answer it would help to know what you want to DO with the land, b/c there is a difference between buying 10 acres of absolutely unfarmable northern swampland (with a tiny dry site for a house) or 10 acres of bone-dry no-water-rights-included land out West, versus 10 Kentucky acres that are very hilly but will actually grow some animals and a home garden, versus 10 flat "real agriculture" acres. So, whatcha wanting to *do* there?

Also, what climate type restrictions do you have-- very few people are equally willing to live in southern Arizona and northern Alaska ;)

Pat
I have no preference about weather. Granted, I'd like four season but it isn't necessary.

I want a few chickens, a garden and maybe a pig for food.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Great point about water. Out east of me 40 acres is pretty cheap...but it is DRY, HOT, has NO TREES...it is always windy and full of cactus. I would rather have 2 acres closer to the mountains where you get rainfall, there are plenty of trees and you can actually garden.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Great point about water. Out east of me 40 acres is pretty cheap...but it is DRY, HOT, has NO TREES...it is always windy and full of cactus. I would rather have 2 acres closer to the mountains where you get rainfall, there are plenty of trees and you can actually garden.
Hey, when did you come to my house? LOL!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
It would also help to know which states you were looking into. You said you had several that you were looking at if work is available. So what are your preferences.
Also, of note. Cheap land sometimes means a lower wage base, with lower taxes along with lower cost of other things and sometimes not.
So you can't just look at the cost of the land. An example is here in Mississippi. Our wage base is usually lower than the national average, but so are our land taxes. My property taxes on 3 acres with homestead exemption is only $460.00 a year. 3 Acres in Upsate New York would probably be 5 times my purchase price plus a lot more in taxes. Of course someone doing my job in New York would probably be making a lot more money than I make too.
I have a cousin that lives in Washington State right out of Seattle. I cringe at the thought of the cost of her modest house and the taxes. She laughs at my income. However, we actually compared income and expenses. I won by about $35.00 per week.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm seconding opinions listed above.

I live north of 2dream by a couple of hours, still in the same state. My taxes on 2 acres of land were about $260 last year. Also, where I live, land is cheaper per acre (usually) than where 2dream is. Housing too. But again, the wages are lower as well.

You'd really have to look at the whole picture to get the correct answer to your question. If the land is cheap enough, but you can't buy any decent organic veggies or grass fed beef or the schools suck, then you haven't come out any better overall.

So, take into account all the aspects of HOW you want to live, find a state that offers it, then look for the cheaper land that will still meet your needs.

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My husband won't be done with his education for another year, so I have plenty of time to compare and plan. I am wide open as far as what states that I could live in.

None of my preferences are set in stone. I've already lived in almost evey part of the country except the northeast. My hubby retired from the military last February. We have lived in Victorville, California, Spokane, Washington, NC, Mississippi, Nebraska and Iowa. I liked Spokane, Washington the best.

Now that my hubby is retired, I just want one spot to put down roots and not have to move anymore.