Which is the most self sufficient and yummy turkey breed?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I wanted to add turkeys to my farm this year and did not want to mail-order, after a bad experience with the post office and some ducklings last year which I won't go into. In any event, my local feed store has supplied me with great poultry in the past and I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring and the arrival of turkey poults to the store.

Which breed here is the hardiest, tastiest and easiest in everyone's opinion, between Red Bourbon, Royal Palm, Wild Rio or Wild White? All are offered straight run.

I live in a wet rainy climate and have free range access for the birds. We mingle them, but my poultry have their own individual pens where they spend much of their time. I will be processing most, if not all of these birds in the fall and if I over winter any, it would be only a pair or a small number which I might try to have live in the chicken or duck coop if that is feasible?

I have heard poults die easily and my number one most important factor here is return for my investment in feeding my family. I also will buy some chicks at the same time to add some new breeds so to some extent I'm limited because of availability dates. They have different turkeys and chickens arriving on certain schedules. Or do the new poults have to be the same age as the new chicks?

I could try to raise my own chicks to be available when the turkeys are due but that sounds a little tricky for me. I wanted to add some really dark egg layers to my flock though so don't mind picking up a few chicks.

Anyone have advice for me?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Now that I have a couple of heritage turkeys ( slate and bourbon) I can see that raising the midgets are going to be the best, at least for us.
The full size ones, take forever to get to full weight, and eat a lot to get there.

We did keep them with the chickens, but the size difference made for some bad situations for the chickens. They were inadvertently run over all the time, and any time one of the turkeys beat its wings, any chicken in its path, took a sever beating.
We lost on hen due to this :(

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Which ones are the small ones that you are referring to? I'm not very well versed in my turkey talk.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Oh, and I have no idea why they say the heritage birds are at full weight at 20 weeks.
Experience has shown otherwise.
Try as long as 18 months.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Hmmm....the ones they have at my feed store are a different white turkey, they say they are from Holland and their plummage is white. They don't give ya a lot of information to go on.

At this point I think I'm leaning toward the Red Bourbon? I don't want to feed anyone 18 months however....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Hmmm....the ones they have at my feed store are a different white turkey, they say they are from Holland and their plummage is white. They don't give ya a lot of information to go on.

At this point I think I'm leaning toward the Red Bourbon? I don't want to feed anyone 18 months however....
Turkeys are a long term project no matter what breed.
The only ones that are fast are the Broad breasted, but I will not raise them :(

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I dont plan on doing turkeys again,,they eat a ton.and if you think "I will free range them to save on the feed"..it helps but then they decide to roost on hubbys new pickup or on top of the horse trailer..they run around the place like a gang of outlaws getting into everything,for us,more chickens is the answer.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
The main reason we are raising them, is so I can actually eat turkey.
I cannot consume gluten, and most turkeys are injected with solutions that contain gluten.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ive heard LOTS of good things about bourbons...

the royals are aparently more flighty/active and can get a good distance on a jump/short flight, whereas the bourbons seem to be a little calmer and heavier/les apt to take off than the royals.