Which seeds?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You might try soaking some of the grocery store beans to see if they will sprout. :hide I wouldn't try it with soybeans though. Too much of the soybean crop is GMO. You need to get organic soybeans if you want to make sure it's not GMO for those.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
You might try soaking some of the grocery store beans to see if they will sprout. :hide I wouldn't try it with soybeans though. Too much of the soybean crop is GMO. You need to get organic soybeans if you want to make sure it's not GMO for those.
Not planting soybeans, I don't eat them, so why bother?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

winstonlacewing

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Corn: i recommend 'painted mountain' flour corn. it's an OP that matures quickly and i hear it's ground flour is yummy. not sure of its fresh eating quality. if you plan to save seed, make sure to grow a patch of at least 150-200 plants to maintain genetic diversity.

Pumpkins: 'new england pie' is a nice, smaller pumpkin that can be carved, and is pretty good eating, too. http://www.agtoseeds.com/collections/winter-squash/products/organic-new-england-pie-pumpkin

Beans: 'native seeds' in tucson has the best variety of heirloom beans i know of

Lentils: bountiful gardens sells lentil seed, both green and brown.

Peas: split pea soup is made from 'field peas'...bountiful gardens and territorial both sell varieties of field peas :)

good luck!
winston

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You CAN plant dried beans from the store. We have done it many times. We have had success with black beans, lima beans, and some kind of white bean. I don't think we tried the kidneys, as we don't put those in as many dishes. They sprout fairly quickly, so I'd say buy some and give it a shot! In my experience, most sprouted, so be ready to plant most that you try.

Side note- I have also sprouted the oat groats bought from the feed store for the gals. Once they get going, they hardly need any care, and you get a good yield from them! Does anyone know if these oats are suitable for human consumption? I was thinking that an oat was an oat, but haven't been able to find any info online.

Latest posts