Which seeds?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put an order in to Baker's Creek. But, for some of the stuff I want, I'm not really sure what to get so I figured I'd ask y'all what you plant.

Corn: If at all possible, I'd like to plant just one type of corn, something that I can eat and put up for myself or let stay on the plant longer and feed to the animals and/or make corn meal out of it.

Pumpkins: I haven't grown pumpkins in awhile. Last ones I got were called Triple Treats, and were, I'm assuming a hybrid. It was good for decoration purposes, you could eat the seeds and you could make nice pies out of it. I'm not too worried about eating the seeds, we didn't really like them, but I do want something I can use for a decoration that will make good pies.

Beans: I'm OK w/normal beans, but I'd like to grow something that's good for making chili. I didn't see anything that looked like a kidney bean and didn't know if I could just grow the beans that come from the store or not.

Lentils: I didn't even see any and again, was wondering if I could just grow some from the store.

Peas: What peas would be good for drying for split pea soup?

Thanks.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You are sooooo far removed from my climate i'd be afraid to suggest anything :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hey Deb, my chickens LOVE pumpkin seeds!

Beans: I know some folks that have successfully grown from dried beans bought in the store. I am now "self-sufficient" in growing black beans. They're very versatile and this will be my third year of them. I am looking for kidney beans, too, but they are very hard to find. I have seen them in just ONE of my catalogs - I'll have to look it up.

The rest of stuff we usually freeze, we may dehydrate more this summer, too.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
You are sooooo far removed from my climate i'd be afraid to suggest anything :lol:
Actually, I'm not that far off. I'm in zone 7. I'm thinking you're in either 7 or 8.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Found it. Henry Field's had the Dark Red Kidney beans offered.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Wannabefree said:
Actually, I'm not that far off. I'm in zone 7. I'm thinking you're in either 7 or 8.
Yep, you're closer to her than me here in Ohio.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My favorite pumpkin to grow for decorating and pies, not to mention feeding to livestock, is Rouge Vif D`etampes. Grows easy, looks unusual and beautiful and has a meaty wall & sweet flavor. Think Cinderella's coach....they call it the Cinderella pumpkin.

Grandma grew Country Gentleman corn for the purposes you listed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Wannabefree said:
7b here Kidney beans ar available from Johnny's I believe. Try them online.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
See? I told you you weren't that different. We're right at the border of 7A and 7B. It's really kind of hard to tell exactly from little maps they put out.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
See? I told you you weren't that different. We're right at the border of 7A and 7B. It's really kind of hard to tell exactly from little maps they put out.
Yeah we really are pretty close :) I am trying to get my greehouse up :rant Bought plastic today, will get lumber next week when income tax return hits the bank. I am impatient :/

Latest posts