Which wheat? Red? White? Hard? Soft?

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to buy wheat from the Mormon storehouse on Hafer in Spring Texas. There are only certain days that you can buy wheat, but it is good wheat. Call before you go so you know if the kind of wheat you want is in stock. I bought 6-10 bags at a time to make it worth my trip. Their canned dry oatmeal is to die for too.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
baymule said:
Thanks for the prices ya'll. :thumbsup That is a big help. Of course, I live on the opposite end of wheat growing country, but we have a lot of high digit HEAT and SUNSHINE!! :lol:
We used to have a neighbor in Castroville that grew wheat. He really hated it when I'd cut through his field to get to the bus stop.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
opiemaster said:
When my mother passeed away we cleaned out her food pantry as my step dad sold the house. ( I can see now where I get the whole ss thing from.) She had whole grain stored in sealed canning jars, but, she used a Vitamix Super 3600 to grind it with. I received the vitamix kinda on accident at the auction when the auctioneer sold it to me for $1 as no one bid on it. :D They sell used on E-BAY for $120 and up, used! I lucked out there.
Deffinatly thanks for ALL the info on here about flour and mills, It was something I had over looked until made mention of it here. ;)
I wonder if a person could post on Craigslist that you wanted to buy bulk wheat and maybe a local farmer would just sell it to you. :/
I posted such an ad. I had to drive to another state and wait for the farmer to show up, but scooping 5-gal buckets full of wheat out of his trailer was totally worth it. I got 4 bu, but only had space to properly store about 3. But that's another story. I had to post the ad several times, follow up quickly, and get it taken care of without being a pain in the neck. There's a reason retail prices are higher than wholesale, and I didn't want to be any trouble. 4 bu of wheat is a lot, but it won't last forever and I wanted to have a good contact for future supplies.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
ORChick, that's an amazing deal for organic hard red! I've got it as low as $25, but never $19.
Wholesale prices are around 8 $/bu, which works out to about 0.16 $/lb. Obviously it's harder to find a wholesale deal than retail, but for the price, I think it's worth the trouble.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
moolie said:
ORChick, that's an amazing deal for organic hard red! I've got it as low as $25, but never $19.
Wholesale prices are around 8 $/bu, which works out to about 0.16 $/lb. Obviously it's harder to find a wholesale deal than retail, but for the price, I think it's worth the trouble.
Is that $8/bucket for organic?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
k15n1 said:
moolie said:
Well, that's what I paid. Someone else mentioned a similar price. Futures contracts for wheat (per metric ton, I believe, which is about 44 bu) are 3-6 $/bu. I assume double for organic. Maybe someone else who actually knows will correct me...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
moolie said:
k15n1 said:
Well, that's what I paid. Someone else mentioned a similar price. Futures contracts for wheat (per metric ton, I believe, which is about 44 bu) are 3-6 $/bu. I assume double for organic. Maybe someone else who actually knows will correct me...
So, assuming twice your price for organic, that would be $0.32/lb, which isn't much less than the $0.38/lb that Azure charges. I get free shipping to a central drop off point, and have to drive about 5 miles to fetch my order. For me this is a better deal than hunting for a wholesaler, as I think that the majority of wheat growers "in the area" are actually on the other side of the mountains. Pretty drive, but not really cost effective. But that is just my situation, and shouldn't be taken as a comment on anyone else's :)

ETA: Azure is, in a sense, a wholesaler, as they grow much of the product they sell. I believe they started out as grain growers.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
k15n1 said:
moolie said:
So, assuming twice your price for organic, that would be $0.32/lb, which isn't much less than the $0.38/lb that Azure charges. I get free shipping to a central drop off point, and have to drive about 5 miles to fetch my order. For me this is a better deal than hunting for a wholesaler, as I think that the majority of wheat growers "in the area" are actually on the other side of the mountains. Pretty drive, but not really cost effective. But that is just my situation, and shouldn't be taken as a comment on anyone else's :)

ETA: Azure is, in a sense, a wholesaler, as they grow much of the product they sell. I believe they started out as grain growers.
Oh. I was figuring 12 $/bu for organic, which works out to about 0.24 $/lb. Anyway, you're right that it may not be worth the saving if you have to bend over backwards. For me, it was fun.

There is a family around here who puts in a huge order (pallet-sized) twice each year. If you buy in, it's 80 $ for delivery, but that's spread over 5,000 lb of grain, so it's almost free shipping. Maybe I'll do that when I run out of wheat. It has the advantage that you know exactly what type of wheat you're getting and there is more variety, too.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, a 5 gallon bucket doesn't hold 50 lbs of wheat. ;)

But a 6 gallon bucket will hold 48 lbs--in my personal experience (first time we bought wheat we bought it the 6 gallon bucket, and weighed it after it was delivered).

Latest posts