Which wood heater ?

JASTECH

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Jet Stove is another very good design. Use it with adobe plaster for thermal mass.

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The masonry stoves typically heat with about one fifth the wood and typically cost $10,000 or more.

A rocket mass heater will typically heat with about one tenth the wood and cost about $400. I've heard of people building them for $20. I've seen about a dozen built where each was built in a weekend. I've seen some of the pebble style rocket mass heaters built in less than a day.

I have a pebble style rocket mass heater in my 3-bedroom home in montana. We heated this house last winter with 0.60 cords of wood.

I recently hosted the gathering of the world's leading rocket mass heater experts and we sat down and addressed an engineers doubts about "one tenth the wood":

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The masonry stoves typically heat with about one fifth the wood and typically cost $10,000 or more.

A rocket mass heater will typically heat with about one tenth the wood and cost about $400. I've heard of people building them for $20. I've seen about a dozen built where each was built in a weekend. I've seen some of the pebble style rocket mass heaters built in less than a day.

I have a pebble style rocket mass heater in my 3-bedroom home in montana. We heated this house last winter with 0.60 cords of wood.

I recently hosted the gathering of the world's leading rocket mass heater experts and we sat down and addressed an engineers doubts about "one tenth the wood":

Paul, your video furthers the effort to make a strong case for building rocket mass heaters. I assume you were reporting on that pretty-cold winter of '16/17. Some folks would be interested in more info relating to the .6 cords of firewood used to heat your three-bedroom house: house style & floor area; nature of the home's insulation; composition of the firewood used.

I look forward to learning more. Thanks for posting.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I perused the recommended thread. Others here may find the detailed discussion valuable. To share with our SS members, in the thread indicated, Paul mentioned these things that spoke to the request I'd made (above) for a little more info:

"We will be using pine, fir and larch."
"I think we have speculated in the past that this place is about 1400 square feet. Maybe a little less."
"I have no idea how well insulated it [the house] is. Standard double-wide el-cheapo-lame-o insulation I expect."