While I'm waiting....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
to possibly hear back from the resumes I sent out, I figured I might take some matters in my own hands.

So I was thinking of possibly advertising to clean houses, be a companion, get groceries for ppl, perhaps make some premade meals for seniors or such.

Since I think cleaning houses would probably be the most common --for getting a response, anyway--how much would one charge for this type of service.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to work for a woman that had a cleaning business when I was in Alaska (about 15 years ago). She charged $8 for a small room, $16 for a small room and if the person wanted deep clening sone the price was doubled.

Then there were seperate costs for carpet cleaning and wood floor cleaning. There was also a seperate cost for the basement to be cleaned, can't remember how much.

Sounds like an good idea for you, tyr it. I, myself, would rather be a companion or pick up groceries for people and charge a set fee.

Hope you have good success with whichever one you embark on. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm going to advertise for all of them, and since each might be a weekly thing part time thing,-- if I get responses, I would probably be able to do all of them. I could be a companion and do light housekeeping and light meal prep too. I'm relying on the fact that there are three small towns near me with a large population being seniors and elderly.

Considering that I haven't worked in 12 years, and we need the money, I will even clean houses. In a `perfect` world, I wouldn't even have to clean my own house. ;)

So, would it be better to charge per room or an hourly rate?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
In my area - deep south - most cleaning is anywhere from $35 to $65. Depends on how big the house is. No windows or deep cleaning included in those prices. Vaccum the house, mop, clean bathrooms, light dusting, etc. Just general light cleaning. Some cleaners supply their own cleaning supplies some require the customer to furnish.
If I were you I would call a couple of people in your area who are also advertising and just ask how much they charge. They don't have to know you are going to be advertising. Let them think you are a potential customer.
Personal shoppers around here vary - about .55 cents a mile, plus a percentage of shopping expense. Or .55 cents a mile plus a set fee of $25.00. (This fee depends on how long the shopping trip takes.) If its a grocery store, Walmart, run to cleaners trip which takes most of the day it would be more like 50 dollars plus mileage. It works well if you have several customers you can shop for on the same day.
Good luck - let us know how it works.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
in NC cleaners are getting about $30 per hour.
be sure to LIST everything that is included to the homeowner. that way there is no misunderstanding.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If you want to be a companion to someone there are really good opportunities at your local respite care center. They are always looking for peole to be caregivers for mentally challenged people and such. The pay is minimum $12 an hour and can go as high as $20. Most need assistance with outings or housekeeping and learning independant living skills. There are also alot of kids that the families need respite from

Housecleaners here get $15/hr

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was cleaning houses I charged $20 an hour. I didnt visit all I did was go there to clean, so I did it in as efficient a manner as possible so it didnt take me too long. NO I am not saying you do this......I am just saying that sometimes the boss want to. LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I had a claning service, oh that was forever ago. They had an "Inital Clean" which was expensive. I two girls cleaning ran about 50.oo and hour, Then after that I think it ran about 40.00 an hour.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing this too and since I use Shaklee products I was thinking of going the "green" route as far as advertising goes but I would probably charge more since I would be supplying my own products. My grandmother pays her cleaning lady $75 once or twice a month to come in and dust, vacuum, clean the bathrooms, and mop everything.

I would definitely give a list of basic cleaning duties that is included for your base price and make a list of extras and charge a flat rate for each service. My friend charges $20 to clean the oven, $20 to clean out the fridge, $3-5 per window to take down and clean blinds or curtains, etc.

Every little bit helps and what you may want to do is call a few places yourself and ask them if they can send you a price list for their services so that you can compare!

Good luck,

Lori

http://thesecretpays.com/yessecretpays
(I also use this site to make extra money but it does require initial start up costs)