Who among you has defended the United States in Uniform?

Freedom57

Power Conserver
Reaction score
3/2 ACR, 13E20, SGT. E-5, 1976 - 1979, "Always Ready"

13E20 = Fire Direction Control (FDC), Field Artillery, 155mm and 8'' Howitzers.
Amberg Germany and Fort Riley Kansas

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks like we have quite a group of patriots here. That is great. I'll bet there are more.
by the way, Since I don't know all the MOS by number please describe your MOS. Some have done so and we have a lot of communication specialty folks on this forum. That is very cool.
Glad to see you all are so proud of your service because we should be proud of it and each other.
Like they say, "to those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never taste"
Trim sends
//BT//

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I forget that people don't know the stuff.

AMS is Aviation Structural Mechanic Structures. It's been recombined with the AMH (hydrolics) to just AM now. We fixed the skin and structure of the aircraft, painted, and worked the hydrolic lines. I worked on F-14s.

AT is Aviation Electronics Technition. Hubby worked on radar, components, and general wiring for fixed wings and helicopters. Now he's working for a civilian contractor refurbishing Army helicopters. It's much cheaper to do that then buy a new helicopter.

I've seen both sides of the story as enlisted and wife. We dated two years before we married and he was in 8 more after that. They were gettig ready to deploy when 9/11 happened. They were two weeks out. It was changed to 3 days and their carrier group headed straight to the gulf.

Military service is traditional in my family. Most the guys go in the army. I was the first girl to go in. One of my younger cousins went in the airforce and she's made a nice career. My younger brothers were both army.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hinotori,
Actually, yours was the only one I really knew because I was a Navy flight surgeon!
Nice to have you "aboard" as they say.
Trim Sends
//BT//

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I should know all this, but I don't...

DS#1 was Electronics Tech, E5 when he got out of the Navy.

DH is a member of this forum, but he never posts. USAF Staff Sgt, jet mechanic........I'll have to ask if this correct when he gets home tomorrow!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my uncle and dad were both in the army during Vietnam my uncle did 2 tours so my dad who was in germany wouldn't have to go to combat. Dad had a family at home and he didn't. He ( my uncle) made a carrer of the military he was due to retire at the time of 9-11 and threw a big fit that they wouldn't let him go.

Uncle david had to have knee surgery a couple years ago and got that flesh eating virus while in the hospitle and he lost his leg to that. And his health has gone downhill from there. He has had 3 strokes since then.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ah that is so rough on your family with his med problems. Flesh eating virus. Good gosh you don't hear that often. Wow

I hope he can recover. That is alot to handle.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes we were all stuned when we heard that. Even harder that we are up here in iowa and illinois and he is in texas. Would love to go visit him again but not possable right now. He isn't doing very good, they have put him in a nursing home and we were told he will never be able to go home.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
my uncle and dad were both in the army during Vietnam my uncle did 2 tours so my dad who was in germany wouldn't have to go to combat. Dad had a family at home and he didn't. He ( my uncle) made a carrer of the military he was due to retire at the time of 9-11 and threw a big fit that they wouldn't let him go.

Uncle david had to have knee surgery a couple years ago and got that flesh eating virus while in the hospitle and he lost his leg to that. And his health has gone downhill from there. He has had 3 strokes since then.
Might I suggest that what he suffered was Flesh-eating bacteria syndrome, not a virus at all [thank heavens] it was probably Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, strains of which are resistant to most antibiotics. He probably lost his leg because the normal antibiotics don't even slow it down and it takes important time to run the tests to determine which antibiotic is effective. Most of the staphylococcus aureus seems to be able to hide in bone tissue and sit inactive where it is hard for even effective antibiotics to reach so the bone is often removed. I know this because my sister was one of the first to have a strain isolated and typed [the strain is named after her] She started with an open wound on a little toe. The finally got the toe healed and sent her home, she was back in two weeks with the same problem. Over the years they have taken her apart one bone at a time. She attempted suicide when it was discovered on her other foot currently she has only enough for a stump below the knee on her good leg and none of her bad leg. She is on a clinical trial for a whole new class of antibiotics which appears to be stopping the bacteria cold and has gained some hope from that. Two major companies are working on vaccines to prevent infections by this bacterium.