Who has solar panels?

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Diavolicchio said:
And that's the fact that going with a sustainable solution is just the right thing to do.
Let's see.

It's quite funny how your sentence contradicts itself.

The word "should" implies that it is your opinion that it is the right thing to do.

The word "fact" implies....um....well a FACT, or a truth that can be proven.

I don't disagree that one should try to go with a sustainable solution...but that is my opinion, not a fact.

And when it doesn't make sense financially....well, let's just stay with the facts, shall we?

Saying something is "just the right thing to do" is pretty much a statement divulged in opinion.....not fact.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The FACT is we are on this forum to be more Self Sufficient.

Going into debt for something that will only pay itself off a few years before its expected working life ends is not very sufficient (IMO). Each of us has to look at many factors BEFORE committing our money to any endeavor.

Also... ScottSD mentioned he has already spent money on geothermal.

I have already spent lots of money on improving my homes insulation and installing energy efficient lighting and appliances and a high efficiency wood stove.

Others may use wind power or take the bus. Solar IS NOT the only answer to the question of saving the planet's energy resources.

Even your place in your life may make a difference. I bought my panels as a learning tool. I am NOT planning on staying in this house for many more years. I want to explore the possibilities BEFORE I build a new home. Maybe that way I can get it a little more right.

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
I never said solar was the ultimate solution. It's not. I simply said that in calculating the return on one's investment, factors aside from just money should be taken into account, one being the benefit any sustainable technology may have on the environment.

RayNC

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am using the 45 watt kit (3- 15 watt panels) from Harbor Freight Tools
And a marine battery with an inverter to power 2 compact flourecents and a radio in my small barn. Its been about a year and so far no problems to speak of. I didnt use the controller that came with it I bought a simpler one on eBay, So far I'm happy.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Diavolicchio said:
I never said solar was the ultimate solution. It's not. I simply said that in calculating the return on one's investment, factors aside from just money should be taken into account, one being the benefit any sustainable technology may have on the environment.
Is that what you said?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What kind of controller did you end up buying RayNC? The simpler the better in my book.

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Diavolicchio said:
Is that what you said?
That's what you were to have GOTTEN from what I said.

John

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Be kind to each other, people, we are all here to learn and share.

I have just reviewed this whole thread. The level of sarcasm shown here has to stop. I am going to delete all the nastiness so this informative thread can continue.