Who Has Started Cycling Again as a *Cough* MATURE Person?

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not that I would plan to ride my electric bike on the streets (wouldn't feel safe to do so), but I do sympathize with municipalities wrestling with how to regulate their use. In New York, delivery couriers lane-splitting and darting in and out of traffic are angering drivers and pedestrians alike:

"City and state governments all over the country are reckoning with how to classify and regulate e-bikes. Are they closest in practice to traditional bicycles, or are they more like scooters and mopeds? This legal grey area led many to wonder how de Blasio would respond in New York.

In late October, he gave an answer. The mayor not only announced the new crackdown against e-bikes, but also introduced a policy that would subject businesses to $100 and then $200 fines if their employees are caught riding them. The new enforcement measures will take effect in January. It will be the hardest any major U.S. city has come down on electric bikes so far."

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/new-york-e-bike-crackdown-affects-delivery-cyclists

Hmmm...I think I'll apply that money to other aspects of becoming self-sufficient and get a regular old bike instead.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:epI'm shocked! I spose a few bad apples have to ruin the bunch and then everyone gets new regulations to follow. :(

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
call me cynical... but with everyone hollering about pollution from cars these ebikes seem like a solution, especially in the city, which is overcrowded with vehicles as it is. Bicycles have to follow the traffic laws, so ebikers should be too. Just give them tickets instead of fining the businesses.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
call me cynical... but with everyone hollering about pollution from cars these ebikes seem like a solution, especially in the city, which is overcrowded with vehicles as it is. Bicycles have to follow the traffic laws, so ebikers should be too. Just give them tickets instead of fining the businesses.

I'm sorry but your wonderfully sensible solution wouldn't make sense to a politician when he has a wet finger in the air, testing which way the wind is blowing.

I had layovers in New York dozens of times over the course of my stewardess career (when they used to call them that) and remember seeing bike couriers efficiently weaving through traffic to get the job done on time.

Latest posts