Who here has canned Ham?

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have two butt hams in my refridgerator that I am thinking about canning. I have never canned ham and am interrested in information on how to process it. I have raw and hot packed meat, just not ham. I am also interested in hearing about what the texture of the ham meat is like after canning. I have cooked ham in the slow cooker before and I did not care for the texture of it. That texture was kind of stringy, like corned beef. I was hopeing that the canned ham would have a texture more like canned hams in the supermarket or boiled ham from the deli.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Slice ham into 1", fat-free, boneless slices or chunks. Lightly brown in oil. Hot pack into hot jars leaving 1" headspace. Make broth with drippings or I guess you could use chicken broth... Ladle the broth over the ham, again, leaving 1" headspace. Process 1/2 pints & pints 75 minutes, quarts 90 minutes, at 10lbs pressure in pressure canner.

We use our canned ham in casseroles, scrambled eggs, & etc.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you The Vail Benton's, that souonds easy enough. DH and I love quiche and fritattas and I think the canned ham would be great for that purpose!