Who here uses artificial lighting for their chickens?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have my lights on a timer. I didn't light the coop last year, but I now have rabbits quail and chickens in there who all benefit from having 14 hours of light. So we have the timer set to supplement daylight. Also, shen it is really cod, we will need water heters to keep the hroses and chickens water from freezing, and a heat lamp.

Hubby apprenticed as an electrician waaay back when, so he has my coop lit up so brightly I'm sure you could see it from outerspace. Plus he's got a huge honkin' light over the padock so you can ride at night and it looks like it day time.--very helpful when it gets dark at 5:30.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You should see the "lengths" I've went to put lighting in my coop! :p Say about 300 ft. of length.....extension cords, that is. I have them strung from one outbuilding on one side of the yard, over to an apple tree, along the top of the fence, up into another apple tree, through 4-5 other apple trees, to the outhouse and finally into the chicken coop. Right smack in the middle of all this configuration, I have the dog's electric fencing transmitter bungied to an apple tree and covered with plastic bags and plugged into the whole mess.

Now....top that for a redneck setup! At least the extension cords are green so they are kind of not so noticable unless you are really looking for them. :D

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
We hang a rechargable camping lantern in the evening. Bring it in to recharge every morning.
What a great idea! No fire risk and enough light to "read a newspaper by" for the girls. Minimal amount of energy...hmmm...why didn't I ever think of this? :lol: Thanks!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks all of you for your input! It is really going to help me in my decisions.

I love the rechargeable lantern idea. I am going to build an eco friendly coop and that just makes sense. I think I am also going to let nature take its course as far as keeping lights on for more egg production. We will just eat fewer eggs in the darker months.

Out of all 6 hens, only one is laying. Ruby my RIR. She gave an egg a day even when she went through molt. I love her so much!

There is a farm down the road with a chicken coop visible from the street. At night you can drive by and see all the colorful hens pecking about b/c they have the lights on. It is fun to watch them moving around when the rest of the world is completely dark.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey BBH, I know you've already decided not to use lights to stimulate production :clap but I remembered an article from Joel regarding seasonal eating and though you'd like it. I couldn't for the life of me remember where I read it, so I didn't post anything, but I just found it. Here you go. He says he shies away from winter lights for production :)
He starts on the eggs on page 2. Very good article.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-08-01/Seasonal-Eating.aspx

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks Noobie!! I'm going to read it right now. It is pouring outside and it will be a nice little distraction.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
Henrietta23 said:
We hang a rechargable camping lantern in the evening. Bring it in to recharge every morning.
What a great idea! No fire risk and enough light to "read a newspaper by" for the girls. Minimal amount of energy...hmmm...why didn't I ever think of this? :lol: Thanks!
I admit I didn't think of it either. I have a friend who has chickens who gave me the idea. :D