Who Put The Egg In The Shell?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is true and as shocked as I was at the not knowing part it was also funny.

My 11 year old grandson was visiting and since he had been in front of the TV or on the computer playing games most of the day I told him to get up and help me with the chickens. Off we go with his questions on what all we had to do. I was explaining feed, water, egg gathering, etc. Told him to watch for snakes, not to be jumping around or chaseing the chickens, etc. I put him in charge of watering while I fed. He finished watering just as I started gathering eggs. I was coming out of the smallest chicken house with a couple of eggs in my hand when he gets this look of amazement on his face and ask, "Granny, where did you get that"?
Stunned, I look down at my hands and say, what, this egg. He says yes and I tell him out to the nest in the chicken house. His next question floored me.
"When did you put the shell on it?" He honestly thought that egg shells were applied in a egg shell factory.

This is a prim example of "Not knowing where your food comes from". And also the reason so many people say, "What are they teaching our children/grandchildren in school"?

My children grew up with chickens, rabbits, goats, horses etc. I have not had any of these things in over 20 years and my hens had just started laying so this was his first encounter at my house with egg gathering. Needless to say, he and I spent the rest of the weekend discussing where his food comes from.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I would have been surprised to. I never thought about this. My kids have watched the chickens lay eggs, so they have just always known. Wow.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL 2dream
it just goes to show "anyone" who isn't around that type of farming situation and just doesn't see it, will not know. I bet he sure isn't alone in his thoughts!!LOL

I bet it is your mission to show him alot of things now...you go granny! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
He shouldn't feel bad...I worked with a van load of women, ages ranging between early 20s to late 50s who didn't know that eggs came from a chickens butt.....thought chickens had a separate hole, like a woman's vagina! :lol: Actually argued about it and then swore off ever eating eggs thereafter! :rolleyes:

ETA: Like eating eggs that slid from a vagina seems sooooo much more appealing? :p

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
He shouldn't feel bad...I worked with a van load of women, ages ranging between early 20s to late 50s who didn't know that eggs came from a chickens butt.....thought chickens had a separate hole, like a woman's vagina! :lol: Actually argued about it and then swore off ever eating eggs thereafter! :rolleyes:

ETA: Like eating eggs that slid from a vagina seems sooooo much more appealing? :p
Hey, look at it this way,....more eggs for us! YUM! :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
People do amaze me. When I told my DD about her sons inquiry - she was as shocked as I was. We got to talking about when we realized things.
You know? How old were you when you realized that steak came from a real live cow. Rabbits are not just for Easter anymore.
Funny the older we get the more we think we just all knew that stuff.
And I think that sometimes we just don't think about it at all. It is just knowledge that happens along the way. And since we don't think about it and there is no "TAADAA" moment it does not make and impression on us.
Anyway it made for quite a Granny, Grandson, Daughter moment to discuss all this while making homemade yeast rolls. Most of which were eaten immediately out of the oven.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, this thread made me decide to talk to my kids today and see if they realize where food comes from.

Except when I asked about steaks, they chimed in DEER! guess that shows what we eat alot of LOL

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ughh I hate deer, its nice to have meat, but its soooo gamey. I still haven't found a way that works good for me.

I cant remember not knowing where my food came from, my sister gets confused about which animal pork chops come from though, and im being serious..

Latest posts