Who Put The Egg In The Shell?

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is no joke. I do love my mother, I do honor thy mother. ect ect. but gees, the woman sometimes scares me! I have chickens and I was so excited when they started to lay, I live in TX she lives in Fl. the lady that she rents from has chickens too. Well I was telling her how I was scrambleing eggs for my ds, She said her landlord always gives her eggs and she just throws them away! Why? I asked. She said, cause I'm afraid there might be a baby chicken in there. :hu. I said what? She said "dont the hens lay eggs and baby chicken is in there?" Oh my god! Now this was coming from a grown woman, who has a 8th grade education. But still. STAY IN SCHOOL!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Sure, it's amusing that people don't know about fertile vs infertile eggs, or that the hen puts the shell on, etc. But it is probably wise to remember that if many (not all) of US were dropped down in the middle of a big city, we would make very stupid obvious gaffes involving things like bus transfers, alternate-day parking laws, avoiding getting mugged or crossing paths with drug dealers, the minutiae of gangs....

...all of which are pretty important and basic pieces of *city* information, WAY more important to peoples' lives there than the details of the avian reproductive tract.

Personally I think it's GREAT that a kid would ask that question about how the egg shell gets on -- it shows he is THINKING :)

JMHO,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
TX Honky

I had a customer that said a similar thing...I sell eggs from the farm. She said, but shouldn't I get my eggs from the store cause those are laid for eating, aren't the farm eggs the ones where we get new chicks to be raised?

I guess it made sense to me in a way she might think that..LOL

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Well, this thread made me decide to talk to my kids today and see if they realize where food comes from.

Except when I asked about steaks, they chimed in DEER! guess that shows what we eat alot of LOL
Even now my oldest son (being all of 20 yrs. old), on down to my youngest daughter ( preteen), and the four in between those two mentioned, all still to this day, will ask if they can have another piece of chicken that I fixed...........except it's pork chops they are asking for!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Reminds me of a story my brother told me of an affluent family that always fed their kids boneless chicken. They went to a picnic where they had KFC and the kid asked what it was!?!? He didn't know that "chicken" had bones.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Nifty said:
Reminds me of a story my brother told me of an affluent family that always fed their kids boneless chicken. They went to a picnic where they had KFC and the kid asked what it was!?!? He didn't know that "chicken" had bones.
OMG are you freaking kidding me?!!

Make you wonder doesn't it? People just have no clue!:(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL
A boneless live chicken!....hmmm...if I could farm that I would be rich! :)

Latest posts