Who was it here who sold the homemade laundry detergent?!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I KNOW someone here sells it (at $5) but for the life of me, I cannot remember who!!! I have so many people who want some now, and one of my clients has been trying to get me to sell it, since I sell my soaps and such. I was just wondering how you go about selling it? How much is in each container? Do you list ingredients? Where do you get your containers? Do you scent it?

I was looking for bottles, but the cheapest I've found is $3.18/bottle for a capacity of 128 fl oz. I like to keep my products as inexpensive as possible, because I like to cover the market that I myself am a part of (natural as possible and as cheap as possible).

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I sell it for $3 a gallon. I do not scent it, nor do I list ingredients. If they ask I tell them, but otherwise I don't figure they care much, so long as it works ;) After the first gallon it pretty much sells itself. I started out with using 20 oz. soda bottles as a $1 "trial size" and they just started ordering like crazy after that. :hu I just use old milk jugs, old detergent bottles, gallon vinegar jugs, etc. I give a small discount to those who bring me empty bottles bottles. If you pour the soap into one of those detergent containers that sits on it's side, with a spout...it is easy to fill the others. You're gonna get tired of grating soap bars :lol: It sells great!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL! I was surprised at how many people want it already. I made my first batch maybe two weeks ago, now everyone wants some. My parents aren't exactly "supportive" of anything I do in the SS category (even make fun of organic and all that good stuff), but I made laundry detergent, put it in the bottles and when they ran out of the store-bought stuff, they went to use it and found out that it's "ok", lol. Now, my one friend who does the craft shows with me wants to try some, three clients want some (well, one client got a sample and I took his bottle down today) and another personal care aide is getting a bottle, PLUS the client who got his bottle today... two of his neighbors want to try a sample. They even said to make flyers and put them in the laundry mats and one of them wants me to make a full product line flyer to post at her beauty school. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
WOW! That is AWESOME BC! You need to tell the parents to buzz off :p I KNOW ya live with them at the moment, but gosh they seem so hard on you when you are doing everything right SHEESH! :lol: Good for you though sister! Sell away!! Give folks a little discount for bringing you gallon jugs, and you'll have that issue settled in no time ;) No sense BUYING them when you can get them practically free right?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol. Exactly, if I can get freebies (which I've been "stealing" all the empty bottles from my clients when we use up a bottle, lol), why not?! The only reason I thought about BUYING bottles was because of the craft shows... I'd like to have a few uniform ones to be able to sell at the craft shows. Though maybe I can collect enough that are all the same kind just for that. Or even put one bottle up at a time for sale, then if they ask for a smaller amount, I can grab a bottle from "behind the scenes" just to keep everything visible more "neat" and presentable. Hmmm... Lots to think about! I can always sell the mismatch stuff through the flyers or any other way that doesn't involve making a great presentation to the potential customers. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The gallon size vinegar bottles are the best. The plastic is thicker, and the label is easier to come off. Ask around at restaurants to see what they could come up with for you. Maybe some restaurant detergent bottles that they buy soaps in bulk to clean all the equipment...would be great! Or try salons. Don't they buy some shampoos/soaps/lotions in bulk? I think so. heck ask the chick at the beauty school to help you for a portion of product free of charge ;)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Fan-freaking-TASTIC ideas!!! Thanks so much! I would have never thought about asking if the beauty school had good bottles! I'm sure they do!