Who was it here who sold the homemade laundry detergent?!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My 2g batch is:
1c Fels Naptha (finely grated, smallest grate on a cheese thinger)
.5c Washing Soda
.5c Borax
32c Water

I use about half the amount of water to "cook" the soap in on LOW heat, once it's dissolved, I turn off heat and immediately add borax and washing soda, stir until completely dissolved, then scoop it into a jug (because I need to measure it so I know how much water to add, if you have a big bucket, you can just dump it into the bucket and add the rest of the cold water).

Just make sure that you MIX it like it's going outta fashion. I try to mix up my bottles every hour or two for the first two days. I think this is what gets it to the proper consistancy.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, my one client has been making his rounds, lol. Yesterday we went on a walk and handed out samples of soap. When we got back, someone had brought an empty detergent bottle and three bucks to the client's wife and so that I could fill 'er up with the homemade stuff. He then came by and we chatted for awhile. He has certain allergies and was paying a fortune for small bottles of locally manufactured environmentally friendly, allergin free laundry detergent. He said his family may be interested in buying some as well, since they were buying the same expensive stuff he was buying, since their son has major issues with fragrances. :D

calicokat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip to stir like crazy for a few days! I just switched from the powdered recipe to the liquid and was quite sure I'd messed up as it's very glumpy on top, but now I know it can still be salvaged.

I may not be here lots, but you folks are the best :hugs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I do mine in a 5 gallon bucket and take the tater masher to it the second day :lol: It works great!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
He has certain allergies and was paying a fortune for small bottles of locally manufactured environmentally friendly, allergin free laundry detergent. He said his family may be interested in buying some as well, since they were buying the same expensive stuff he was buying, since their son has major issues with fragrances.
exactly! thats what i was doing - but then SD posted her recipe. we'll never go back! great work selling it!

:)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey BettaCreek, just an aside...my uncle reacted to the Fels Naptha, so I reformulated to Ivory bar for him. we ALL have allergies :rolleyes: