1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Using Greywater/Graywater- Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Whole frozen chicken pressure canner recipe

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CrealCritter, May 22, 2018.

1. May 22, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Almost Self-Reliant

I would like to cook a whole frozen buff orpengton in a pressure canner but when I Google this all I find is something called a "instant pot" I don't even know what that is let alone own one.

Please help a guy with a good recipe for a pressure canner for frozen whole chicken.

Thanks

2. May 22, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

10# pressure, 90 minutes. Can just use enough water to build/maintain pressure or fill further for amazing broth. Will be falling off the bones from frozen solid.

3. May 22, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Well, that's how it works with an Instant Pot which is just a multi-function cooker. The "high" pressure setting on Instant Pot is 10.2 - 11.6 psi and 239 - 244 degrees F

4. May 22, 2018
    CrealCritter

So could I use an instant pot recipe but use a real pressure canner/cooker instead? Is this istant pot just another new fangled gaget for people who don't or won't pressure can?

5. May 22, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

No; it's a new-fangled gadget for people who want to pressure cook or pressure can but don't feel real confident about it. Mainly, it's designed to part you from your money. Apologies to those that bought one, but it costs a lot more and doesn't really work any better- other than being able to walk away from it when it's working.

6. May 22, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

They're a multicooker, so they pressure cook, slow cook, rice cooker, "sauté" (think electric frying pan function) and yogurt maker. They're popular among people who have a disability which prevents them from standing up to cook on a stovetop. (That's why I have one.) If you're starting a kitchen and don't have the other appliances, then maybe it's worth it. And by worth it, I mean the used/refurbished price! I got mine half price on amazon, like $80 for the 6 qt. Right before Christmas when the price was jacked up to $440 for new of the same model (and all the stores were sold out).

You can't pressure can in them. Although rumor is they're coming out with a new model that can pressure can (very) small batches. No word yet on if NCHFP will approve it though.

And yes, you can use any pressure cooker for Instant Pot recipes!!

7. May 22, 2018
    CrealCritter

You mean with one of "instant pot" things I wouldn't have to babysit the pressure canner for my wife anymore? Depending on price this might be a good investment - IDK...

8. May 23, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Won't get you out of supervising the canner, sorry! LOL! I'd be surprised if the capacity of it is more than 3 pint jars anyway. From what I've read, the new "Max" model with the canning feature 1) isn't available yet 2) is expected to be >$200 3) comes with a lot of new bells and whistles like an automatic stirring function. IDK. Seems..... excessive. And still no news from USDA/NCHFP if it's even safe to can with. I'm not impressed.

But, I find that supervising pressure canner is easier at night, outside on a propane burner, and a window cracked. Very easy to see the steam plume against the night sky, and when everything is quiet, it's easy to hear it too. Barely takes any effort to mind it this way.

sumi likes this.
  9. May 23, 2018
    CrealCritter

Dang nab it - I was hoping to get out of Pressure Canner baysitting duty

10. May 23, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I don't babysit my canner...once it's got to the right jiggle rhythm, I set my timer and carry it in my pocket while I'm doing other things. That's 90 min. of freedom at a time, so you can get quite a bit done in between starting and emptying out a canner.

CrealCritter and sumi like this.