Whole frozen chicken pressure canner recipe

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would like to cook a whole frozen buff orpengton in a pressure canner but when I Google this all I find is something called a "instant pot" I don't even know what that is let alone own one.

Please help a guy with a good recipe for a pressure canner for frozen whole chicken.

Thanks

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
10# pressure, 90 minutes. Can just use enough water to build/maintain pressure or fill further for amazing broth. Will be falling off the bones from frozen solid.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Well, that's how it works with an Instant Pot which is just a multi-function cooker. The "high" pressure setting on Instant Pot is 10.2 - 11.6 psi and 239 - 244 degrees F

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, that's how it works with an Instant Pot which is just a multi-function cooker. The "high" pressure setting on Instant Pot is 10.2 - 11.6 psi and 239 - 244 degrees F

So could I use an instant pot recipe but use a real pressure canner/cooker instead? Is this istant pot just another new fangled gaget for people who don't or won't pressure can?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No; it's a new-fangled gadget for people who want to pressure cook or pressure can but don't feel real confident about it. Mainly, it's designed to part you from your money. Apologies to those that bought one, but it costs a lot more and doesn't really work any better- other than being able to walk away from it when it's working.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
They're a multicooker, so they pressure cook, slow cook, rice cooker, "sauté" (think electric frying pan function) and yogurt maker. They're popular among people who have a disability which prevents them from standing up to cook on a stovetop. (That's why I have one.) If you're starting a kitchen and don't have the other appliances, then maybe it's worth it. And by worth it, I mean the used/refurbished price! I got mine half price on amazon, like $80 for the 6 qt. Right before Christmas when the price was jacked up to $440 for new of the same model (and all the stores were sold out).

You can't pressure can in them. Although rumor is they're coming out with a new model that can pressure can (very) small batches. No word yet on if NCHFP will approve it though.

And yes, you can use any pressure cooker for Instant Pot recipes!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No; it's a new-fangled gadget for people who want to pressure cook or pressure can but don't feel real confident about it. Mainly, it's designed to part you from your money. Apologies to those that bought one, but it costs a lot more and doesn't really work any better- other than being able to walk away from it when it's working.

You mean with one of "instant pot" things I wouldn't have to babysit the pressure canner for my wife anymore? Depending on price this might be a good investment - IDK...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Won't get you out of supervising the canner, sorry! LOL! I'd be surprised if the capacity of it is more than 3 pint jars anyway. From what I've read, the new "Max" model with the canning feature 1) isn't available yet 2) is expected to be >$200 3) comes with a lot of new bells and whistles like an automatic stirring function. IDK. Seems..... excessive. And still no news from USDA/NCHFP if it's even safe to can with. I'm not impressed.

But, I find that supervising pressure canner is easier at night, outside on a propane burner, and a window cracked. Very easy to see the steam plume against the night sky, and when everything is quiet, it's easy to hear it too. Barely takes any effort to mind it this way.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Won't get you out of supervising the canner, sorry! LOL! I'd be surprised if the capacity of it is more than 3 pint jars anyway. From what I've read, the new "Max" model with the canning feature 1) isn't available yet 2) is expected to be >$200 3) comes with a lot of new bells and whistles like an automatic stirring function. IDK. Seems..... excessive. And still no news from USDA/NCHFP if it's even safe to can with. I'm not impressed.

But, I find that supervising pressure canner is easier at night, outside on a propane burner, and a window cracked. Very easy to see the steam plume against the night sky, and when everything is quiet, it's easy to hear it too. Barely takes any effort to mind it this way.

Dang nab it - I was hoping to get out of Pressure Canner baysitting duty

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dang nab it - I was hoping to get out of Pressure Canner baysitting duty

I don't babysit my canner...once it's got to the right jiggle rhythm, I set my timer and carry it in my pocket while I'm doing other things. That's 90 min. of freedom at a time, so you can get quite a bit done in between starting and emptying out a canner.

Latest posts