3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt - * Java's note - I use 3/4 t. of sea salt* as I like a slightly salty/sweet flavor
1 cup chocolate chips
optional: add chopped pecans or walnuts

1. Heat oven to 375F. In large bowl, beat sugars, butter, oil, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Beat in flour, baking soda and salt until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

2. On ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.

3. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until very light golden brown (centers will be soft). Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I think if I halved the sugar and ground the wheat myself I could eat these.

I SO need to get wheat and a grinder!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Elana posted this today !

Double Chocolate Walnut Brownies
cup dark chocolate chips 73% cacao
cup coconut flour
teaspoon celtic sea salt
teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
cup agave nectar
cup grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
cup chopped walnuts
⅓ cup dark chocolate chips 73% cacao

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok I have to ask...the coconut oil I see and also the grapeseed oil...do they add any flavor to the dish? They sound wonderful!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
grapeseed is a very bare taste. coconut oil is a little stronger, but much less strong than say olive oil.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can make double chocolate chip cookies by reducing the flour by 1/4 cup, and adding 1/3 cup cocoa powder. I recommend Green and Blacks Cocoa powder for the best flavor.

We make whole wheat chocolate chip cookies using Hard White Wheat Flour (you can buy it in the stores as Prairie Gold, or you can mill your own), and nobody even realizes they are whole wheat.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Depends on the coconut oil you buy. Some has stronger flavor than others. I would think you could just use all butter too ;) This was just a recipe from a site that likes to use coconut oil.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On the issue of coconut oil flavor...

There are two basic types of coconut oil, hot pressed from copra (dried coconut), and cold fresh pressed - also called Extra Virgin.

The first kind smells faintly like clean motor oil. It is perfectly safe to use, and is a good oil to use for baking and frying, since it is WAY less expensive. It won't leave a flavor in your foods, it tastes just fine. This kind looks a bit yellowish - it is still short chain fatty acids, still has health benefits, and is much better than using shortening.

The second kind smells lovely - like fresh coconut, and imparts a faint coconut flavor. Delightful stirred into hot chocolate! This kind is typically used as a supplement, and is better for you than the first kind. It looks crisply white, may look a little crackled with clearish edges if it has been warmed and then cooled again. It is WAY more expensive! Nutiva is the most affordable brand, and is very good quality.

So do you by the good stuff and run yourself broke, or do you settle for the lower quality stuff? There's a key bit of information that gives you a logical rule:

There isn't any point in using the second kind in baking or frying, because once it gets heated above a certain temperature, it loses the fresh coconut smell and flavor, and smells and tastes just like the hot pressed kind, and has no more fresh oil benefit.

So the rule is, use the cheap stuff for cooking and baking, where it is all gonna end up like that anyway.

Use the expensive stuff for supplement use in things that don't get hot enough to cook it, where you want to taste it - in shakes, on toast, in hot drinks, etc.

We buy both - the cheap LuAnn stuff at Wal-Mart, and the expensive Nutiva stuff at the health food store.

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks! I use all butter now (as seldom as I bake) but I am trying to change the way I cook a bit.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some things don't work well with just butter - cookies are one, if you like soft cookies.

You can try this trick though...

For soft cookies, use half butter, half olive oil. Works about the same as half margarine, half shortening.

Latest posts