Who's starting their garden early?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I haven't even received my seed catalogue yet, from the local company that I always order from, but I was sooooo impatient that I found what I want on-line and made out my order. I just could NOT wait another day!!!

I usually start seeds under shop lights about mid Feb, but this year I am going to test out seed starting in the greenhouse. I'm nervous. Seed starting always seems kind of magical, you know, so I'm just a touch worried that if I don't follow my typical ritual, I won't get good results. Ha ha! But I am going to be brave and methodical about testing out new techniques that aren't so energy intensive (light & heat mats). Last year we were also knocking into tables of tomatoes for months and months, because our growing season started late. Very frustrating.

We recently had a good test of how well our greenhouse protects against the cold. It is a sturdy (lumber & metal) frame, but only just draped in greenhouse plastic. We had over a week of highs in the mid 20's (F) and one night down to 12 F. I only found one small chunk of frozen soil in the greenhouse and that was an exposed chunk on top of a pile of soil. I am amazed!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started my seedlings in the egg cartons not knowing if they will work or not, but I thought I would give it a shot.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Funny, I was looking at some egg cartons just the other day and had the same idea. I don't see why it wouldn't work! Let us know. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This is why, when I order egg cartons, I get the recycled, paper ones...they make handy plant trays, like peat pots!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just got an order of seeds in today. I've got a couple of empty milk jugs to use as mini green houses. I might trying planting a little lettuce mix. It won't make much, but there's thousands of seeds in a packet, so I figure I have enough to play with until real planthing weather moves in.

I can't stand it!!1 :D

Cassandra

Latest posts