Why are rescues so difficult?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do rescues have to be SO difficult? I can understand a level of it, but to be so difficult that no one wants to deal with them?

This will be the FOURTH rabbit I have adopted from the local rabbit rescue through the HS in the past YEAR AND A HALF. (My other two died freakishly, that state doesn't even know how they died after autopsy was performed. Half the brain was gone with no trace of parasite.)

Yep, fourth rabbit, so they know me and my capabilities by now. They know where I work, and who under I work. Chris wants his own rabbit (Keiwii is wild and non snuggly unlike our last two) so he picked a few out. I take Keiwii in today for her "date", and I get treated like dirt. I get talked down to, demeaned, while my niece and I were watching we were talking about stuff and the lady had to butt in with her own personal beliefs.Inappropriate, if we were friends itd be ok, but were not.

Kei finds a little boy she likes, she licks his face and ears, he humps her head (spayed and neutered btw) and I'm like, ok this is the one. I'm set to take both home, I'm intune with Kei and I KNOW he's right. No, I get told they have to have more dates. So I ask to schedule one tomorrow as its my day off, so she snottily tells me it will be Saturday. I work FT, I don't sit on my ass all day like the lazt old witch! Thank the stars my moms going to take Keiwii back. Not just that, but she can't relax there as its in the middle of a no kill shelter for dogs! She used to a quiet household with a quiet dog, the barking freaks her out. Plus the overall atmosphere/energy is overwhleming.

If I knew they were going to be THIS difficult I would have taken my business to the HS 2 hours away, which is where my rabbit vet wanted me to go. Now that's she found her boy, I can't do that. It wouldn't feel right.

ROAR

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It wouldn't let me edit this in:
Ah. Chris said when he and his boss went to the no kill shelter where the bunny rescue is, they w ere super rude to them too. (Chris' boss has been on the lookout for a new dog.)

So if you want people to not only come and adopt from you, but tell everyone to go adopt from you, wouldn't you be nice and friendly?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've had this experience, too, and thought it was just me...the more I hear stories from others, it seems to be fairly typical. Some shelter owners/workers are just hoarders in disguise, IMO.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I suspect they get more grant money the more animals they have...so what is the incentive to unload animals? More grant money equals pay for keeping the center open and keeps shelter employees earning money, I imagine.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
MsPony said:
It wouldn't let me edit this in:
Ah. Chris said when he and his boss went to the no kill shelter where the bunny rescue is, they w ere super rude to them too. (Chris' boss has been on the lookout for a new dog.)

So if you want people to not only come and adopt from you, but tell everyone to go adopt from you, wouldn't you be nice and friendly?
Rescues deal with so much crap you can hardly imagine. Burn-out is high!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I have never had a good experience in an HS.
It does not speak well for them :(

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I understand it to an extent, the burn out. I work at a respectable pet store (no sale of dogs or cats, we get adoptions to set up areas on weekends.) I am mainly at the front and I deal with a LOT of idiots. I have learned to size a person up within a minute of meeting them, and how to continue my reaction. Its easy to still throw a smile on your face and be polite though :/

My niece (she's 16) and fiance and I were sitting in my living room thinking about how nice it would be to have the little boy home tonight. Were going to the head hauncho and seeing if he can pull me a string.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Which btw, lol, were close with him. He waives certain criteria and prereqs with us ;) I think its just too stressful for Keiwii to keep going back, its way to loud and overwhelming for her.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I won't adopt an animal from the local shelter. You have to jump thru too many hoops. I was lucky when I got Misty. The rescue just wasn't able to deal w/the sheer number of horses they had in (33), they were being cared for at a breeding farm that needed their fields back, so they needed to find places for them to go in a hurry. I fostered her for the first few months-until the court case was done. They stretched all kinds of "rules" for me to even be able to take her. For instance, the new homes were supposed to be w/in a 40 mile radius. The rescue is near Gettysburg. It takes me 3 hours to get there. They were supposed to inspect the property. I took them pics. They were even willing to lower the adoption fee if I couldn't afford it. But, it was much lower than it would have cost me to buy a horse that good from a breeder. I could have gotten a horse for cheaper from auction, but that's always a crap shoot. And, since she was only neglected, not abused, it made my job so much easier.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'll pitch in also. i will never give another dime to the HS - not only to the non-local agency who is waging war against some states in the name of that farm animal safety crap - but not to the local shelters either. not one dime.

i saw a sad story about an abused 'husky' and offered to foster the dog (it was winter so i had time). they told me no. fine. then 3 months later they said the dog was "ready" and i could come and visit and did i want to pay them (i think it was over $100) to get her? so i went to see.

i could not believe my eyes

there were cages and cages and cages of bunnies along the walls with all these dogs barking and screaming and people everywhere. the rabbits were scared out of their minds.

the "husky" turned out to be a Pomeranian-mix with blue eyes and she was NUTS. i mean bat-crap-out-of-her-gourd crazy. and as they were "showing" the dog to me one of the workers walked by and made some comment about what a bad dog she was.

um.. in front of a perspective owner?

so no i dont want your fake husky dog who i probably could have "fixed" but good strategy to keep it locked up in a stressful, over crowded environment. great work. sheesh!

i couldnt believe they were tormenting all those rabbits. not to mention that they probably could have had those poor things butchered for food for the dogs.

and dont even get me started about how there are hungry people in this community and the food banks cant keep up.

i'm still just stunned at how awful the whole thing was. wow.