why do you own horses?

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
the funny farm6 said:
I read this section to my husband who is NOT a horse person and this is what his reply was :
"I think you are a horse person or your not. That is the easy part. If you love someone who loves horses-you might have to just learn to put up with them. (Like I am)" and I would like to add his eye roll.
My DH has never ridden with me. Not once. Not the first time. Nevah, evah, nevah! But he will buy feed, hay, farrier work AND help me haul the hay AND even go feed them for me when I can't. (they are on 16 acres about 5 miles from our house in town) He pets them, loves on them but never rides.
Same here Baymule! My hubby loves them just like I do and doesn't ride them. Just like some people are dog people vs. cat people, you have to be a horse person. It has to be in your blood or the work quickly becomes a chore. There is something incredibly calming in horses and I think that has something to do with how they are used in therapy for many types of people. They may be wild and strong in nature but yet they are very fragile and sentient beings that will put their complete trust in us, if they so choose. What more can one ask than to have a 1,000lb, excuse me, 2000lb animal partner up with you to get the job done? I have 6 with 3 more on the way and couldn't imagine life without them.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
After my car accident in '98, the doctor recommended horseback riding for just that reason. I'll never be 100% of where I was B4, but I'm better. Plus, I really think that's one reason my Meniere's has not developed worse than it has. I know that some places work on balance therapy. This is part of mine.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and while great exercise obviously, my ortho doctor when I had my neck injury--did the MRI--and showed 2 bulging dics in my back. I was surprised. Nothing they could fix but I asked 'what could have done it' cause I almost never hurt my back I could remember. He said horseback riding. someone who rides their whole life like me probably at some point damages the cartlidge like me. Hmmm....well worth it in my book HAHA

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
We have one riding instructor here that will do private therapy with kids, and we had an autistic kiddo say his first words while riding.

Pretty awesome stuff, the horses are such gifts!

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Buster said:
I prefer more practical animals. I have a couple that aren't, but they are small and cheap.
Practical is in the eye of the owner.
No doubt. In my eye, it is something I can eat or provides something I can eat or that does work around the place, like guard or kill mice. Horses certainly can be practical, though. A friend owns a ranch and uses them to check on or move his cattle, especially in rocky terrain where a four wheeler isn't practical. And there are those who use them as draft animals.

But I would do neither, so they would be decidedly impractical for me.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Buster said:
Denim Deb said:
Buster said:
I prefer more practical animals. I have a couple that aren't, but they are small and cheap.
Practical is in the eye of the owner.
No doubt. In my eye, it is something I can eat or provides something I can eat or that does work around the place, like guard or kill mice. Horses certainly can be practical, though. A friend owns a ranch and uses them to check on or move his cattle, especially in rocky terrain where a four wheeler isn't practical. And there are those who use them as draft animals.

But I would do neither, so they would be decidedly impractical for me.
Even w/out doing that, they can be practical for some, not all. For me, I enjoy everything about horses. (OK, I'm not that crazy about shoveling manure, but it's part of being a horse owner.) Plus, they do provide manure for the garden. And, if you have room to store it and age it, you can ever sell it.