why eggs don't go in your pockets and warm milk gets cold FAST

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just been reading these and thinkin about when my family had lots of animals...
i remember one day i went to feed the chickens and gather eggs. the chicken coop was an add-on to the goat barn so you had to walk into the goat pasture to get to the chickens. well i went in and fed them... got the eggs... $%#@%# uh! no place safe to put them... you know them nosey goats always wanna eat whatever is in your hands no matter what it is... POCKETS! i'll put the eggs in my pocket... safe place, right?
WRONG!!! not two steps from the gate i fall on my face... :th into goat berries... :barnie i grumpily walk back to the house.
"EWWW! what did you fall in?!?!?!" sister
"the goat pen" me
"whats in your pocket? it looks like you laid on a chicken!" sister
"oh terds...." i hesatintly look down at my pants pocket... and see that snotty egg all over... great... :sick

and one winter we had knee deep snow, and then feezing rain, and then more snow...
and of course me and the sisters sleep in becuase it's a snow day... and its really cold so we didn't go sledding... and then we go out to milk and feed babies and the first step out we all fall on our butt. all five of us in a row. it was like climbing a glacier to get to the barn becuase its all hills here. we all tried to see how many steps we could take on the ice without it breaking or us falling... didnt get too many steps counted... :p

and one winter the snow wasnt bad but it stayed really really cold. one night we ran out of batteries so instead of two flash lights we only had one and the oil lamp. oil lamp for mom to milk and one flash light for dad and us 3 girls to bottle feed 15 hungry baby goats. well i was little and hadnt caught the goat-bug so i was grumpy and whiny and mom sent me to the house with the milk bucket while she stayed with the others to feed the babies. and i was in trouble so i didn't get a light. it was plenty light out with the snow and moonlight but i was mad and stomping and being a kid and not looking where i was going... so i fell... less then 10 feet from the door. milk bucket dumps all over me, and we had 6 standard size does so i was covered. ya, in 13*F weather that body temperature milk goes from nice and warm to just about frozen pretty quick like. so i'm laying there freezing up and :hit and here comes my parents and sisters...
"what are ya doin?!"
"aw! ya spilled all the milk!"
and my sisters are just histarical with laughter and giggles.
yep... no "how'd you fall", no "are you okay", nope... just worried about the milk and why was i bein lazy layin down when i shoulda been helpin with the goats...

of course i lived through it all. and now i get to tell everyone and let them laugh until they pee. it builds character. so next time your kid spills there juice yell at them for hurting the juice... seriously... just watch their face, cause its gonna be great. :D

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
...and that reminds me that I put an egg in my pocket yesterday and it's still there :gig

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've done that trick where you collect eggs and put them in your pocket and then go into the goat pen......oops! Smashed egg.

I also left an egg in my pocket on accident and then threw the coat into the washer to wash with the egg still in the pocket.

That was a fine mess.

Your story is cute though, Ohiogoatgirl! I can just picture you with the spilled milk.

At least you weren't crying!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's cuz you're not supposed to cry over spilled milk! Glad I'm not the only one who has put an egg in their pocket only to have it get broken.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
That's cuz you're not supposed to cry over spilled milk! Glad I'm not the only one who has put an egg in their pocket only to have it get broken.
We should probably take a poll to see if any of us haven't! I know I have. More than once. :rolleyes:

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: Last year I wore dh's work jacket collecting eggs. I only got one that morning so I put it in the jacket pocket AND FORGOT ABOUT IT! At some point it got broke. Boy was dh mad when he went to go to work the next day! :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:lol: Since my chickens are at the farm, lots of times I'll put the eggs on the front seat of my truck. Believe me, it's no fun if I accidentally break one!