Why has the light bill gone up??

EggsForIHOP

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, compared to this month last year, for the first time in months no less, my freakin' light bill has gone up! WHY???? I am guessing it could potentially have something to do with DH being home more...but it still frustrates me and makes no sense!

We are keeping the ac set higher than we did last year, turning things off more, hanging clothes up to dry now instead of using the dryer :he :barnie :he :barnie

The only thing I can think of is that we are actually cooking more now and eating out less - and everything in the kitchen is electric. Could this be the cause? Did anyone else notice their electric bill jump after making the switch from dining out to dining in? Because I SWEAR...if I catch him running the house super cold when I am gone I will KILL him! (But I really doubt he is doing that as I am only gone at night, no need to then, and I would know in the day time because I would wake up freezing and I haven't been)

This is SOOOOO frustrating to see!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Has the rate gone up or your usage?

Sure, running the stove and oven more or especially plugging in an extra freezer (like most folks here have) can all add to your electric bill.

EggsForIHOP

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's the actual usage! Up almost 1000 kilowatt hours or so! And I don't think it has been as hot as last year was yet even! No extra appliances, just using the ones we have I guess...but really? That much more energy to cook? It hurts my very soul if that is the case!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It might be your appliances. Or a combination of both. Hubby and eating in.

I have a gas range and my bill almost doubles in canning season.

Maybe you could BBQ more and see if it goes down.

:idunno

g

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
try using a crockpot
when taking a shower run the water to get wet turn it off then lather up then turn the water back on
turn your hot water heater down
i know in some areas electric companies wont check the meter every month just every other month and guestimate the off months

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
As TanksHill said, using your stove or oven adds a lot of heat to your home. We try to cook on the BBQ for at least one of each days' meal, and sometimes two, during the summer. Due to medical reasons, this year we didn't turn off the A/C during the day and just run it at night to sleep with. From an average bill of under $100, our most recent bill was nearly three times that. Yeesh!

We are also getting ready to start the foundation of a summer kitchen, though I don't see it being completed until next year. We are hoping that, especially during canning season, a cooler home will be less work for the AC at night.

If Cap & Tax gets passed, it will only get much worse.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
also look on craigslist for a small toaster oven if it makes sense for your size family
when you do cook in the oven use every available bit of space in there even if that means cooking for the following nights dinner

EggsForIHOP

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am seriously starting to think it MAY be the cooking then - this time last year we were both working nearly opposite schedules, so he would pick something up on the way home, I would bring something home from work - needless to say we got fatter!

We do grill/bbq/use the smoker a lot - ALL year! It was like 20 degrees on New Years and DH was outside smoking chicken and sausage! But all the side dishes and such I generally do in the house as a trade off. We just never really cooked as much as we currently do as a whole though - LOTS of take out has been the norm for a long time and we are in the process of breaking that cycle (and doing good at it). It's just so hard when you spend a great deal of time at work cooking to come home and cook some more - it gets old FAST!

Oh well, that's the price I pay for saving on eating out I guess...but I think I may still be coming out ahead! DH has been asking for a toaster oven (we have a slot toaster now)...he may win on that small battle....and I will be more conscious of how much stuff I can get in the oven at one time - I hadn't thought of trying to save by doing that, but really it is a good idea! I do use the crock pot a lot, it just may be currently since he is cooking he doesn't use it at all that is adding up so much. Gonna have to teach him that one! Thank ya'll! I thought I had lost my mind when I saw that on Entergy's website tonight...but it is slowly adding up and sinking in....

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
EggsForIHOP said:
I am seriously starting to think it MAY be the cooking then
Doubtful as 1000 kWh hours equates to 10 hours of running a standard oven per day or 300 hours a month.

What is your total kWh usage?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
xpc said:
EggsForIHOP said:
I am seriously starting to think it MAY be the cooking then
Doubtful as 1000 kWh hours equates to 10 hours of running a standard oven per day or 300 hours a month.

What is your total kWh usage?
It's not just the KWH for running the stove and oven, it's also the added BTU's of heat that the AC has to compensate for. The AC eats a lot of electricity.