WHY make your own soap, lotion, etc?

GardeNerd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I like to make my own soap mainly because it is fun. I also like having control over the smell and knowing it has exactly what I want in it. Plus, it makes for a special homemade Christmas gift along with homemade jams or jellies. No one around me makes it nor knows how, so everyone is always amazed that it can be made at home.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yep, yep! Great satisfaction in making it better and also cheaper than it can be bought. Love that feeling! Recently made my own NuStock and made it better than the original formula and it worked out at $8 cheaper for the same amount. That's significant savings and also improving the formula will make it better and easier to use and reduce waste. Win/win!
Bee, what's NuStock?

Emerald, I know what you mean. I made the same decision over the holiday with our daughter, too. I guess if they don't pay a lot of money for it, they don't think it's worth trying? :smack

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
camilasodi said:
Because liquid soap is more effective than solid soap.
Welcome! Home made soap can be liquid OR solid. Sort of off topic a little, but has anyone ever made soap from yucca root? I've heard it is better and safer than lye soap?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As far as lye soap being liquid or solid, the variables include the medium used and the strength of the lye. From my studies I have determined that the stronger the lye, the harder the soap.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
As far as lye soap being liquid or solid, the variables include the medium used and the strength of the lye. From my studies I have determined that the stronger the lye, the harder the soap.
Only up to a point. True a super-fatted soap is usually softer than one that converts all the fat to soap but when the limit is reached having extra lye just makes the soap harsh as the extra lye attacks the skin or anything else it can. Also the reaction can take some time that is why a bar should be allowed to cure before use. Face it you are mixing oil [the fat] with water [the lye solution]

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
camilasodi said:
Welcome! Home made soap can be liquid OR solid. Sort of off topic a little, but has anyone ever made soap from yucca root? I've heard it is better and safer than lye soap?
I would love to try it, but as yucca is our state flower, it is illegal to dig it up here.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
ThrottleJockey said:
camilasodi said:
I would love to try it, but as yucca is our state flower, it is illegal to dig it up here.
Actually that is 100% false, just an urban legend. Sure, it is your state flower but as such it is not protected. You can verify this by contacting your DNR, forestry department or whatever version of them you have there.