Why not GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Because, in my opinion - and the opinion of quite a few others - GMOs have not been sufficiently tested for long term effects, either on those that eat them, or the children born to those who eat them, or the environment. Same thing about growing them; there are just too many questions about the environmental impact for me to take to them. And, quite frankly, I have a purely emotional (and negative) response to the arrogance of the companies that produce them.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
I have heard a lot of people say not to use GM foods.... why?
Mostly just a fear of what they don't understand. See:

Dr. Christopher Preston AgBioWorld 2011. Peer Reviewed Publications on the Safety of GM Foods

NRC. (2004). Safety of Genetically Engineered Foods: Approaches to Assessing Unintended Health Effects. National Academies Press.

Winter CK and Gallegos LK. (2006) Safety of Genetically Engineered Food. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Communications Publication 8180.

Key S, Ma JK, Drake PM (June 2008). "Genetically modified plants and human health". J R Soc Med 101 (6): 2908.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There is plenty of information avail. and have been plenty of studies conducted that prove them to be unsafe. The problem is that these studies were done long after it was too late to matter. There is virtually no way to live without consuming these poisons or something that already consumed them or a product containing derivatives of them.
Picture Picture
All You Need to Know About GMO
Let's look at another couple of examples of the FDA failing the people for big business, aspartame and fluoride....I'm sure we all know about aspartame so lets focus on fluoride. If you want to believe what the FDA and CDC claim about it, fine, just don't read the recent Harvard study Harvard Fluoride Study I wonder why it is in our water even though the FDA has never actually approved it for consumption? I know, I've just got my tinfoil too tight....Still trust the government not to lower your childrens IQ? Then you certainly don't want to ask me about our institutions of public instruction....

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
Blaundee said:

Dr. Christopher Preston AgBioWorld 2011. Peer Reviewed Publications on the Safety of GM Foods

NRC. (2004). Safety of Genetically Engineered Foods: Approaches to Assessing Unintended Health Effects. National Academies Press.

Winter CK and Gallegos LK. (2006) Safety of Genetically Engineered Food. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Communications Publication 8180.

Key S, Ma JK, Drake PM (June 2008). "Genetically modified plants and human health". J R Soc Med 101 (6): 2908.
Yes, spider-goats and starfish-tomatoes are perfectly safe to eat...that's why evolution/God made them that way...Additionally, many of the GMOs are proven to cause cancer via bacterium and pass those mutations on to the next generation of the host.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
DeniseCharleson said:
Blaundee said:

Yes, spider-goats and starfish-tomatoes are perfectly safe to eat...that's why evolution/God made them that way...Additionally, many of the GMOs are proven to cause cancer via bacterium and pass those mutations on to the next generation of the host.
or corn with an insecticide genetically modified into it.... :sick

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
Blaundee said:

Um, aside from the arguments about whether or not the food is actually safe (a primary point), consider the other implications:
- laws are in place such that if a neighboring field shows evidence of the GMO crop, the owner can face penalties for theft, etc
- plants are being designed to produce sterile seeds, so where are you going to get your next years seeds from? No seed saving
- elimination of plant diversity, the GMO movement threatens heirloom species
- Outside the US, GMO's are being banned left and right - if they aren't worried about the these and the safety issues, what would be the explanation?

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Another concern is the "organic farming bill" that outlaws my garden due to cross pollination....They claim my garden ruins their crop....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Only one thing ya gotta know about GMOs...if they aren't fit for bugs or fungus to eat, they aren't fittin' for human consumption. That's it in a nutshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.