Why we will not use the public school system

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
JRmom said:
Wow, I have to disagree with that one. There are many many reasons parents don't/can't send their kids to magnet or private schools, home school, or supplement outside of the school system... finances, parents holding down full time jobs, logistics, etc. I don't think a parent necessarily "sucks" just because they don't or aren't able to do those things.
Really? I feel very strongly that time or money is no reason to push parenting down the to do list. Logistics, money, time, work, familial obligations... these are excuses. These things USED to be the things you did WHILE teaching your kids. If you have a kid, parenting comes first. Even if maybe you weren't in the best position to have a kid, but you did anyway, parenting still comes first.

My parents were too busy, too busy paying for things that is. Trying to compete with whoever the poor version of the "Jones" were. Still up to their eyeballs in debt. It doesn't take long each day to encourage more education than the school system offers. One needn't attend a fancy school or even spend much money to supplement their education. You can be on welfare, homeless or sporting the latest mp3 player or iPad, it only take a few minutes a day to make a HUGE difference in your kids academic abilities.

After all most of educational skill is about desire to learn & finding time... that is sometimes the best lesson they need to learn from their folks or parents. Libraries have been invaluable in my education. The internet will be everywhere, if it isn't already. Heck, we can even get online at McDonalds in our very rural area of Appalachia.

Big Mac and an essay question on the origins of Beef Farming in the USA please?
(no I don't' eat that stuff, but MOST of my friends & their kids do happily)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
JRmom said:
Wow, I have to disagree with that one. There are many many reasons parents don't/can't send their kids to magnet or private schools, home school, or supplement outside of the school system... finances, parents holding down full time jobs, logistics, etc. I don't think a parent necessarily "sucks" just because they don't or aren't able to do those things.
Really? I feel very strongly that time or money is no reason to push parenting down the to do list. Logistics, money, time, work, familial obligations... these are excuses. These things USED to be the things you did WHILE teaching your kids. If you have a kid, parenting comes first. Even if maybe you weren't in the best position to have a kid, but you did anyway, parenting still comes first.

My parents were too busy, too busy paying for things that is. Trying to compete with whoever the poor version of the "Jones" were. Still up to their eyeballs in debt. It doesn't take long each day to encourage more education than the school system offers. One needn't attend a fancy school or even spend much money to supplement their education. You can be on welfare, homeless or sporting the latest mp3 player or iPad, it only take a few minutes a day to make a HUGE difference in your kids academic abilities.

After all most of educational skill is about desire to learn & finding time... that is sometimes the best lesson they need to learn from their folks or parents. Libraries have been invaluable in my education. The internet will be everywhere, if it isn't already. Heck, we can even get online at McDonalds in our very rural area of Appalachia.

Big Mac and an essay question on the origins of Beef Farming in the USA please?
(no I don't' eat that stuff, but MOST of my friends & their kids do happily)
Not having time for your children or wanting more money are not necessarily reasons people choose to have their children go to public school. For example, public schools offer great programs, such as choir or football & children learn how to work with other people in group settings, are exposed to diverstity. Private schools in your area may not fit your religious beliefs as well. I think homeschooling or private schooling is great if that's what fits for your family, but choosing public schooling does not make you a bad parent.

I do think that some teachers and folks in our public school's administration do have the notion that the school trumps the parent. It just depends on the person. My youngest son's teacher and I last year clashed becuase of this. She would tout that "teachers and parents need to work together" but really she just wanted me to go along with whatever she said. On the other hand, my oldest son's teacher was a warm, open person who cared about what we as parents thought. There are good ones and bad ones I guess.

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
calendula said:
Not having time for your children or wanting more money are not necessarily reasons people choose to have their children go to public school. For example, public schools offer great programs, such as choir or football & children learn how to work with other people in group settings, are exposed to diverstity. Private schools in your area may not fit your religious beliefs as well. I think homeschooling or private schooling is great if that's what fits for your family, but choosing public schooling does not make you a bad parent.

I do think that some teachers and folks in our public school's administration do have the notion that the school trumps the parent. It just depends on the person. My youngest son's teacher and I last year clashed becuase of this. She would tout that "teachers and parents need to work together" but really she just wanted me to go along with whatever she said. On the other hand, my oldest son's teacher was a warm, open person who cared about what we as parents thought. There are good ones and bad ones I guess.
I hope I didn't come across as saying that as my daughter is in her 11th year of public school and will graduate at the end of this year. :) We sent her, I posted earlier, for exactly the reasons you mention... a great Band/Music Program and a 5th in the region ROTC program. Because of my belief that we should ALSO educate her, I've had many run ins with the teachers, similar I'm guessing to what you've described and others who think we should just "be like everyone else" and leave her education to them. :rolleyes:

I was just saying that no matter your financial situation, there is always something more you can do to supplement their education along side of public school, if that is your choice. Not everyone has time to home school of course, but if people are too busy to work with their kids after school or on weekends too, hopefully they can learn to adjust their schedules, or give up something that isn't as important as say, being with your kids.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, no hard feelings. Just throwing my two cents in. :) I agree, parents need to play just as much (if not more) a role in the education of their children as do the teachers.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
calendula said:
Oh, no hard feelings. Just throwing my two cents in. :) I agree, parents need to play just as much (if not more) a role in the education of their children as do the teachers.
That would be great if they would. I know VERY few who bother.

:idunno

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We did public school because we couldn't afford anything else, but education WAS supplemented. One of Calvin's summer reading books was "Legends, Lies and Cherished Myths of World History" :gig

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone read the case?

hmmm....

it was over a consent form sent home for the kids to attend and participate in a survey. Quite out of line in a way discussing anxiety, despression, violence....and sexual matters which was not stated on the form. But the form was so 'suspect in wording' any responsible parent would call the school if you think it sounds off. The consent form for the parents means you can opt your kid out of this survey.

If your kid attends public school the basic cirrciculum is going to be taught. You agree or disagree. You agree you send your child.

It isn't losing your parental rights, it is your allowing the kids to learn the educatino set forth by that school district.

this Fields vs Palmdale was about an extra survey with a parental consent form.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Anyone read the case?

hmmm....

it was over a consent form sent home for the kids to attend and participate in a survey. Quite out of line in a way discussing anxiety, despression, violence....and sexual matters which was not stated on the form. But the form was so 'suspect in wording' any responsible parent would call the school if you think it sounds off. The consent form for the parents means you can opt your kid out of this survey.

If your kid attends public school the basic cirrciculum is going to be taught. You agree or disagree. You agree you send your child.

It isn't losing your parental rights, it is your allowing the kids to learn the educatino set forth by that school district.

this Fields vs Palmdale was about an extra survey with a parental consent form.
Yes, we know that.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I tried to homeschool for two years, and I admit it was a struggle for us. We found it too easy to say, "we can do that tomorrow, today we need to do this" and the kids were doing very little "busy work" but they were still learning.

I struggled with making it structured, and I worried that I was doing more harm than good.

I cannot afford to send my kids to a private school, so the public school is our option.

My DD is going to be allowed to participate in band this year. She's already tried out a trumpet and trombone. She came home all excited and said she thinks she's wanting to try trumpet. It may be tough for us to find her a trumpet, but if that's the instrument she chooses, I'll do my darndest! I would not be able to afford to send her to private lessons, so if I can just get the instrument of her choice, she gets free music lessons.

I believe that will be instrumental (no pun intended) to helping her in Math, confidence, and other things.

But, I am totally all for homeschooling or whatever parents choose to be the best for their child in their situation. :)

I've also seen the flip side - parents who choose to homeschool for all the right reasons, but don't do it properly and their kids are waaaaaaaaaaay behind other kids their age academically AND socially.

Latest posts