Why we will not use the public school system

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
While I was out hanging clothes, I have to admit that I thought 'I liked my kids enough to know that they needed time away from me...Lord knows I needed some time away from them'. :lol:

In the whole scheme of things, I've seen kids that had every opportunity handed to them ...and they pi$$ed it all away. I've also seen kids that grew up in the ghetto that climbed up to greatness. Neither public school nor home schooling guarantees either.

I learned early on not to say 'my kid will never____'. Children have a way of keeping you humble when you least expect it. I'll pass the ketchup if anyone else needs to eat their words. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so?? a parental consent form for a optional survey is the reason for the title of the thread?

or is it your school does not offer basics that you wish your child to learn?

it isn't mandatory in any way so why would it make one 'a reason for not using the public school system'?

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
JRmom said:
Wow, I have to disagree with that one. There are many many reasons parents don't/can't send their kids to magnet or private schools, home school, or supplement outside of the school system... finances, parents holding down full time jobs, logistics, etc. I don't think a parent necessarily "sucks" just because they don't or aren't able to do those things.
Really? I feel very strongly that time or money is no reason to push parenting down the to do list. Logistics, money, time, work, familial obligations... these are excuses. These things USED to be the things you did WHILE teaching your kids. If you have a kid, parenting comes first. Even if maybe you weren't in the best position to have a kid, but you did anyway, parenting still comes first.

My parents were too busy, too busy paying for things that is. Trying to compete with whoever the poor version of the "Jones" were. Still up to their eyeballs in debt. It doesn't take long each day to encourage more education than the school system offers. One needn't attend a fancy school or even spend much money to supplement their education. You can be on welfare, homeless or sporting the latest mp3 player or iPad, it only take a few minutes a day to make a HUGE difference in your kids academic abilities.

After all most of educational skill is about desire to learn & finding time... that is sometimes the best lesson they need to learn from their folks or parents. Libraries have been invaluable in my education. The internet will be everywhere, if it isn't already. Heck, we can even get online at McDonalds in our very rural area of Appalachia.

Big Mac and an essay question on the origins of Beef Farming in the USA please?
(no I don't' eat that stuff, but MOST of my friends & their kids do happily)
I don't believe I said anything about pushing parenting down the to do list. I was pointing out that just because your kid does not go to a magnet or private school, or you choose not to home school, this does not make your parenting "suck". My kid went to public school, for precisely the reasons I listed, so I guess according to your lofty standards my parenting "sucked"? I don't think so. Wow, what a totally rude thing to say to someone you don't know anything about.

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
JRmom said:
DawnSuiter said:
JRmom said:
Wow, I have to disagree with that one. There are many many reasons parents don't/can't send their kids to magnet or private schools, home school, or supplement outside of the school system... finances, parents holding down full time jobs, logistics, etc. I don't think a parent necessarily "sucks" just because they don't or aren't able to do those things.
Really? I feel very strongly that time or money is no reason to push parenting down the to do list. Logistics, money, time, work, familial obligations... these are excuses. These things USED to be the things you did WHILE teaching your kids. If you have a kid, parenting comes first. Even if maybe you weren't in the best position to have a kid, but you did anyway, parenting still comes first.

My parents were too busy, too busy paying for things that is. Trying to compete with whoever the poor version of the "Jones" were. Still up to their eyeballs in debt. It doesn't take long each day to encourage more education than the school system offers. One needn't attend a fancy school or even spend much money to supplement their education. You can be on welfare, homeless or sporting the latest mp3 player or iPad, it only take a few minutes a day to make a HUGE difference in your kids academic abilities.

After all most of educational skill is about desire to learn & finding time... that is sometimes the best lesson they need to learn from their folks or parents. Libraries have been invaluable in my education. The internet will be everywhere, if it isn't already. Heck, we can even get online at McDonalds in our very rural area of Appalachia.

Big Mac and an essay question on the origins of Beef Farming in the USA please?
(no I don't' eat that stuff, but MOST of my friends & their kids do happily)
I don't believe I said anything about pushing parenting down the to do list. I was pointing out that just because your kid does not go to a magnet or private school, or you choose not to home school, this does not make your parenting "suck". My kid went to public school, for precisely the reasons I listed, so I guess according to your lofty standards my parenting "sucked"? I don't think so. Wow, what a totally rude thing to say to someone you don't know anything about.
I am very sorry.
I must have misread your statement, but I thought you said that there were a variety of valid reasons people "don't/can't send their kids to magnet or private schools, home school, or supplement outside of the school system... "
I disagreed with that and do. I can't imagine a single valid reason not to supplement my kids education.

Never used the word suck.. that was someone else.
I'll take lofty as a compliment though, as I do indeed believe parents should be willing move the MOON for their kids if need be.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
I am very sorry.
I must have misread your statement, but I thought you said that there were a variety of valid reasons people "don't/can't send their kids to magnet or private schools, home school, or supplement outside of the school system... "
I disagreed with that and do. I can't imagine a single valid reason not to supplement my kids education.

Never used the word suck.. that was someone else.
I'll take lofty as a compliment though, as I do indeed believe parents should be willing move the MOON for their kids if need be.
My original post was NOT in defense of parents who totally disregard their children's educations. Again, I was pointing out that everyone's circumstances are different, and private or magnet schools and home schooling is just not an option for a whole lot of folks. And "supplementing" education can mean a whole lot of things to different people. That's a very broad term. I don't think you misread my statement. I think you chose to read into it something that wasn't there.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
May I just point out something about private schools in general? (I taught in private schools for 14 years, and a magnet public school for 3 years.)

Private school teachers are very overworked and have very little to no support staff to help. They also get paid a bag of peanuts every month, often work year round and get no benefits. It was the hardest job I've ever had to do, in fact I was so burnt out by the end of my 14 years I decided NOT to ever teach again, and I was a darn good and loving teacher too. I still remember every single kiddo from every single class and their parents.

eta: my point being at the end of my 14 years I don't think I was a very good teacher anymore b/c I was so burnt out. My fellow teachers reached burn out earlier but stayed b/c they didn't have a choice. It was really sad. Plus we saw where the profit went in those "for profit" schools, fyi it wasn't going toward the classrooms, the teahers or the kids.

My daughter attended the private schools that I worked and also the magnet school. Now she is in a regular small town public school and WE LOVE IT!! Last year when she missed almost the whole school year b/c of sickness the school catered to me, sending out a "Home Hospital" tutor every single week. "Mrs. Cooper" worked her fingers to the bone for my daughter to help her catch up...at a time when I couldn't even remember to tie my shoes in the morning b/c of the stress of caring for a sick child.

Not taking sides, people do what they can when they can. Good parents can get a good education out of public schools by supplementing them by whatever means the parent chooses and keeping up with the teachers etc. (I don't think I would make a good home school teacher, although I'm not against the idea for others.)

Just my two cents. :)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
I was just saying that no matter your financial situation, there is always something more you can do to supplement their education along side of public school, if that is your choice. Not everyone has time to home school of course, but if people are too busy to work with their kids after school or on weekends too, hopefully they can learn to adjust their schedules, or give up something that isn't as important as say, being with your kids.
My parents did this... I had 'homeschooling' in the evenings and on weekends we had trips to art galleries, museums, farms, retirement homes, etc... My mother had a commercial greenhouse and we grew hydroponic tomatoes for grocery stores... it meant we never had alot of money, but she was always around to teach us things. Mom said she sent me to school for my social education, not my schooling. I think that's a fabulous way to do it and I fully intend to do the same with my daughter.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
DawnSuiter said:
I was just saying that no matter your financial situation, there is always something more you can do to supplement their education along side of public school, if that is your choice. Not everyone has time to home school of course, but if people are too busy to work with their kids after school or on weekends too, hopefully they can learn to adjust their schedules, or give up something that isn't as important as say, being with your kids.
My parents did this... I had 'homeschooling' in the evenings and on weekends we had trips to art galleries, museums, farms, retirement homes, etc... My mother had a commercial greenhouse and we grew hydroponic tomatoes for grocery stores... it meant we never had alot of money, but she was always around to teach us things. Mom said she sent me to school for my social education, not my schooling. I think that's a fabulous way to do it and I fully intend to do the same with my daughter.
:thumbsup

I guess I "homeschool" after all. :p All summer long and every evening and weekend.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok. I have to interject something here. If you have children that speak the same language you do, and feed themselves, and dress themselves... YOU HAVE BEEN EDUCATING YOUR CHILD.
If you take an interest in your child's conversation; if you answer his questions and offer him other sources when he asks a question you aren't sure of.... YOU HAVE BEEN EDUCATING YOUR CHILD.
If you let your child help you in the kitchen, at the store, in the yard and on the road... YOU HAVE BEEN EDUCATING YOUR CHILD.
If you tell your child stories about when you were growing up, and tell them about Great Uncle Harry who fought in the Spanish American War... YOU HAVE BEEN EDUCATING YOUR CHILD.

It's not that hard to supplement your child's education. Really.

Latest posts