Why you should grow your own garden and live a SS life.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
As a long time customer of National Geographic magazine, a food shortage article in June 2009 issue has made wiser to why we should grow our own food and why being more SS is a wonderful lifestyle.

While looking for that article on-line to share, I bumped into another article that scared me.

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/food-how-altered.html

While DellaPenna and many others see great potential in the products of this new biotechnology, some see uncertainty, even danger. Critics fear that genetically engineered products are being rushed to market before their effects are fully understood. Anxiety has been fueled by reports of taco shells contaminated with genetically engineered corn not approved for human consumption; the potential spread of noxious "superweeds" spawned by genes picked up from engineered crops; and possible harmful effects of biotech corn pollen on monarch butterflies.

In North America and Europe the value and impact of genetically engineered food crops have become subjects of intense debate, provoking reactions from unbridled optimism to fervent political opposition.

Just what are genetically engineered foods, and who is eating them? What do we know about their benefitsand their risks? What effect might engineered plants have on the environment and on agricultural practices around the world? Can they help feed and preserve the health of the Earth's burgeoning population?

While reading the first article in my dead tree book (paper book/magazine), I read that people were not only starving, the food they are given has no nutrient value or fats needed to sustain even breast milk to feed their children.

I wonder why so many farmers in America are being subsidised not to farm to grow crops?

As I kept reading the article, I learned about the riots, killing of people while trying to get some bread. Is it me or is this a sad state for us to put ourselves into?

As the world food prices rise to levels never seen before, where is the breaking point going to be that farmers around the world can work their soil and make a living at it? When will American farmers be able to work the soil again so they can make a living?

As more than 25% of the worlds corn production goes making new bio fuels. I read that the amount of corn need to make 25 gallons of bio fuel could feed one person for a year. I am not againist bio fuels, we need more crop production.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Deer, when given a choice, will eat heritage corn first, more modern hybrids second, and genetically modified corn only if there is nothing else available.

What does that tell us???? Animals don't lie. Oh, except for chickens.....they will choose the white rice every time! :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
As a long time customer of National Geographic magazine, a food shortage article in June 2009 issue has made wiser to why we should grow our own food and why being more SS is a wonderful lifestyle.

While looking for that article on-line to share, I bumped into another article that scared me.

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/food-how-altered.html

While DellaPenna and many others see great potential in the products of this new biotechnology, some see uncertainty, even danger. Critics fear that genetically engineered products are being rushed to market before their effects are fully understood. Anxiety has been fueled by reports of taco shells contaminated with genetically engineered corn not approved for human consumption; the potential spread of noxious "superweeds" spawned by genes picked up from engineered crops; and possible harmful effects of biotech corn pollen on monarch butterflies.

In North America and Europe the value and impact of genetically engineered food crops have become subjects of intense debate, provoking reactions from unbridled optimism to fervent political opposition.

Just what are genetically engineered foods, and who is eating them? What do we know about their benefitsand their risks? What effect might engineered plants have on the environment and on agricultural practices around the world? Can they help feed and preserve the health of the Earth's burgeoning population?

While reading the first article in my dead tree book (paper book/magazine), I read that people were not only starving, the food they are given has no nutrient value or fats needed to sustain even breast milk to feed their children.

I wonder why so many farmers in America are being subsidised not to farm to grow crops?

As I kept reading the article, I learned about the riots, killing of people while trying to get some bread. Is it me or is this a sad state for us to put ourselves into?

As the world food prices rise to levels never seen before, where is the breaking point going to be that farmers around the world can work their soil and make a living at it? When will American farmers be able to work the soil again so they can make a living?

As more than 25% of the worlds corn production goes making new bio fuels. I read that the amount of corn need to make 25 gallons of bio fuel could feed one person for a year. I am not againist bio fuels, we need more crop production.
It just isn't that simple.
25% of corn production goes to bio fuel, BUT the waste product is going to feed cattle and other critters, hence feeding people in the end.

If our lives depend on feeding people corn thru the entire world, then we are in trouble seriously.

So simple, if the regions are dry, then the appropriate govts. should give money to supply a well to that village, etc. so they can actually grow some food.

Seeing that Ethiopia special one day on tv....people farm weeds to eat cause the area supports those dry loving weeds...with rice supps 1 time per month......Ahhh...like drill those people a well and they would carry water to their crops from miles per day if needed to survive.......................so it is simple and not simple. part with some cash and the world would be a better place for many.

Does that solve the problem...NO...but it sure helps if people who need a well, maybe some plows, some medical clinics, etc. get the money from the rich govts. and then the rest of the world doesn't have to support their lives. And that money could go back into the existing countries and maybe work toward bigger and better futures for all.

Genetically engineered food crops are needed for bigger production. the old timey corn didn't have as good resistances and therefore would "just feed the village" etc. after being depleted thru disease etc............is genetic good? probably not? is it needed to make tons of food, yes...........

Hmm./...hope this makes sense what I wrote.....LOL

honestly, I dont' know how to correct all these problems over the globe?

just that small problems grow so LARGE when all it takes is to just dig a village a well and let them have water to survive, yet that well isn't dug cause rich govts. won't do it. And they would grow the old timey corn and make it perfect cause 1000% percent production wouldn't be needed, they would tend their corn and deal with the problems and be way more diligent in its production in the field. (well, hope ya'll know what I mean)

BBBrrr,...BLAH....LOL---just rambling on things that IRK me big time

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
give money to supply a well to that village, etc. so they can actually grow some food.
It isn't about money. It is about freedom. If you and some buddies start a village, dig a well and plant some crops, some thugs chop you up with machetes and steal all your because you are not of their tribe or religion.

There is no individual freedoms in these countries and no government who wants to protect them even if you did have them. It's a "thugacracy".

Last year alone Americans gave 307 BILLION dollars to charity.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
(pictures free out flogging the deer with homemade broom) :lol:

Genetically engineered food crops are needed for bigger production.
I see your point, however if that food has lower nutritional value, is this still good? Like you said maybe not, but it does feed the masses.

Now see if I would have joined the peace corps instead of going into the army, I would have dug some wells to better others.

Last year I was part of a charity donation that did bring a well to a community in south america. Clean fresh water for people, they had polluted river water already. I was watching a infomercial and dialed in with my donation. I did some back ground checking before I did it though.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
give money to supply a well to that village, etc. so they can actually grow some food.
It isn't about money. It is about freedom. If you and some buddies start a village, dig a well and plant some crops, some thugs chop you up with machetes and steal all your because you are not of their tribe or religion.

There is no individual freedoms in these countries and no government who wants to protect them even if you did have them. It's a "thugacracy".

Last year alone Americans gave 307 BILLION dollars to charity.
We aren't talking about "starting a village" here. We are talking about the people of a country. There individual lives and local circumstances.

Hmmmm.....if a village decides to grow food crops with their new gotten well and live and eat----not grow cocaine etc.----then maybe there would not be the "thug" influence you are indicating.

Alot of people just want to eat and live

So who knows I guess? Do we deny a village a well come someone might corrupt?

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Never mind people in other countries. Lets feed every person in OUR country first!! You would not believe how many children go with out..right here in America. I personally will never support money being sent overseas when we have hunger and povery on our own land. JMHO..

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You can't build anything and have people prosper until you have freedom.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I edited this because while I do agree with Redhen said, many people in other countries just want to survive, just have food to eat, clean water and a roof over their head. They don't want to have even what Americans considered necessities, they just want survival.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
homesteadmomma said:
I edited this because while I do agree with Redhen said, many people in other countries just want to survive, just have food to eat, clean water and a roof over their head. They don't want to have even what Americans considered necessities, they just want survival.
I understand this..i honestly do. And i DO feel for them also! Please dont get me wrong on that point. Its just that i do foster care..and let me tell you..i have seen..first hand that children really, really DO starve and go with out here in America also. I know its hard to believe in todays time..but its a sad fact. Not all children here have clean drinking water..electricity..heat in the winters. They scavenge for food here in our streets also. They also are just trying to survive. I know its hard to believe..i wish i could send along some case files i have had to read.. It really opened up my eyes about some things here. And really..its not just children..i see so many homeless people on our streets..and i know that some may choose that life.. still..we dont do enough for our own people. Cripes i'm a pay check away from being homeless myself..alot of people are. And that should never be if we are sending money to other countries. I say feed America first! *stepping off my soap box now* because i could go on and on.. :lol: