Wide Mouth Canning Jars,...

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay I am about out of canning jars,..I had 6 wide mouth quarts that I scrounged up to use today to can some beans. I have never used wide mouth jars before, so I thought I would give it a whirl. They all turned out okay but one, the lid crinkled up on it. I know this is supposed to be from over tightening, but I have never had a regular lid do that. Has anyone had issues with wide mouths doing this, or was this just a fluke? They are soooo much easier to pack and I am wondering before I purchase any if anyone has had any problems with them. Thanks in advance!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think most around here prefer the wide mouth jars. I have used most of mine already this season. I have never had a lid problem. I would say just a fluke. If your going to be buying jars go with the wide mouths. More useful. Good luck. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Did you use the gold-tone lids, or the new silver-tone lids? I've heard the new ones crinkle!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
we have used the gold lids the silver lids and even some of the bulk plaid colored ones and NEVER had one not seal or crinkle. I'll never go back to the small mouth jars, except MAYBE for jams/jellies.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I only use small mouths for jellys and jams. I have never had a lid crinkle either. Was it a new lid or a reused one?

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am a wide mouth fan! Never had any crinkle though I had my first 3 jars not seal.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The lids were new and they were the gold Kerr lids. I just think it may have been a fluke,..or I might have tightened too much(sometimes I get distracted :idunno),...Like I said I have never used the wide mouths till today and just wanted to know if anyone else had a problem with them. I am convinced now that I will be buying wide mouths. Thank you all.

BTW,..the lid crinkled on the one, but it sealed. I will watch it and keep it toward the front to use first.

Pink petunia

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
I have been canning many many years and have used both wide mouth and regular jars and never before have I had so many lids crinkle and buckle the way they have the last few years. I live in North Central Floridaand all the stores that sell canning supplies have only one brand manufactured by the Jarden Corp. If ther are others brands out there please let me know. I would like very much to get them. Especially if they arenot "buckling" under pressure.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last year and again this year I bought the bulk canning lids from Lehman's Catalog. I use both wide and regular cans depending on what I'm canning. I am extremely pleased with the bulk lids. I haven't had any buckle or crinkle on me, and they seem to have a wider band of rubber or something because I no longer get any failed seals either. I also like the fact that they don't have any advertising on the lid- just a plain expanse so there is plenty of room to write a label (I like to write on the lid AND put a label on the side).

Pink petunia

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
Last year and again this year I bought the bulk canning lids from Lehman's Catalog. I use both wide and regular cans depending on what I'm canning. I am extremely pleased with the bulk lids. I haven't had any buckle or crinkle on me, and they seem to have a wider band of rubber or something because I no longer get any failed seals either. I also like the fact that they don't have any advertising on the lid- just a plain expanse so there is plenty of room to write a label (I like to write on the lid AND put a label on the side).

Latest posts