Wife needs to stop sending me to town

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you go to any house, auction or any other chicken specific sale it shoots way up. But around here the chain stores drop it. I guess city people want the little chickies instead of a month old bird, that someone else feed and housed for the hardest most important time of raising chicks. It benefits me as long as CrealCritter didn't take all the pullets first. :gig

Yeah, just a fair warning... don't go and buy discounted straight run chicks, after I went through the tub.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you go to any house, auction or any other chicken specific sale it shoots way up. But around here the chain stores drop it. I guess city people want the little chickies instead of a month old bird, that someone else feed and housed for the hardest most important time of raising chicks. It benefits me as long as CrealCritter didn't take all the pullets first. :gig

Yeah, just a fair warning... don't go and buy discounted straight run chicks, after I went through the tub.
:lol: A few years back, I happened to glance into a tub of "SR" chicks. Barred Rocks. I'm guessing that Creal had visited Maine, cause every single chick in that tub was a cockerel!!!! :lol:

Buyer beware! I suggest that you never buy chicks from a TSC or other feed store open bin, UNLESS you know what a certain breed of chick should look like, and UNLESS you know how to gender id. the breeds that are USUALLY autosexing.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, wife is expanding her flock! 😁

I have some EEs, a few other colored egg layers with only a little crest. I like pretty eggs. Those silkies are a hoot to see....never knew about their styling methods. :lol:

My chickens free range most days and coop at night. Several roos, who have "their" group of hens. So one elder roo, who had many of once his hens taken, has decided to make a group of hens his. They were not with a roo and trained to a different coop.

So, as I open coops, Handsome runs out of his coop to these other hens house...at night he sees them in, then leaves a runs back to his coop!! The other roo there ok with that. :idunno I've closed Handsome into the apparently chosen group but, he flies out and returns to coop that's been his for over 5 yrs. Chickens are strange and smart....habitual! It's odd. He does have a fav hen back home. Guess he needs to see her.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They will get over the "freedom" and start coming to you for feed.... this is all new and WONDERFUL to them. Train them to come for a feeding of cracked corn or something similar , follow whatever routine you used to have with them and they will get back to it . Then you can make a little pen on the bank of the pond, feed them in it regularly, and be able to catch them that way. We had wild mallards on out pond when I was a kid and they got the routine down getting fed a certain time and place everyday, and were much tamer than you would have thought. We never closed them in anywhere, and they left in the late fall, but they would come everyday when my mom would go out and holler....Come on quack quacks... quack quack quack... they really would come after a few weeks of regularly getting fed some. She just liked to feed them.
So ducks that are used to being fed, will get right back to it because you are familiar to them. And it will be a lot less strain on the feed bill with them out there rustling up their own grub.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crazy big breasts on those CCX I raise over winter. I had to butterfly both of them to get them to cook all the way through. Dinner plate for reference :oops:
IMG_20210606_194849549.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not giving advice here, and may be talking about an entirely different subject. But... one should always be practiced up on their target skills. You never know when it may be necessary for self defense. Also, if I had myself a tractor, I'd be sure to use it to dig some nice big test holes.