wild breed livestock

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just thought I would put this here just for anyones interest. Wild breed sheep are popular here in NZ due to their hardiness, I have had both Pitt Island sheep and Arapawa sheep, they self shed their fleece, will survive on just about anything, and they dont bleat. Arapawa goats are now one of the rarest goat breeds in the world and are a direct descendant from a now extinct breed in England which where a cottage goat kept for their small size. I believe there is a place in America that had/has some Arapawa goats. The Plimoth Plantation ?

Many of the wild goats found in the bush have the same colouring throwback to the original Arapawa breed. Below is a link which also has a long list of many other rare breeds in NZ.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Interesting! I was not aware of this breed. I am considering transitioning to a more wild-type sheep. I'm interested in Dorper breed up here in the US. They're not common enough to have many opportunities to buy them without shipping or a long road trip. I still would want a heavier/larger animal than a true wild-type. My current wool sheep are low-fuss but I've heard that hair sheep have better/lighter tasting meat.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting! I was not aware of this breed. I am considering transitioning to a more wild-type sheep. I'm interested in Dorper breed up here in the US. They're not common enough to have many opportunities to buy them without shipping or a long road trip. I still would want a heavier/larger animal than a true wild-type. My current wool sheep are low-fuss but I've heard that hair sheep have better/lighter tasting meat.
Try the Katahdin breed, maybe they would be more available.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just thought I would put this here just for anyones interest. Wild breed sheep are popular here in NZ due to their hardiness, I have had both Pitt Island sheep and Arapawa sheep, they self shed their fleece, will survive on just about anything, and they dont bleat. Arapawa goats are now one of the rarest goat breeds in the world and are a direct descendant from a now extinct breed in England which where a cottage goat kept for their small size. I believe there is a place in America that had/has some Arapawa goats. The Plimoth Plantation ?

Many of the wild goats found in the bush have the same colouring throwback to the original Arapawa breed. Below is a link which also has a long list of many other rare breeds in NZ.

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed learning more about the Arapawa sheep. The picture of the ram is impressive.