Wild Plums!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I strained out the juice after cooking the batch I had in the pot and got a gallon. Now I have 2 1/2 gallons in the refrigerator and 3 cookie sheets of ripening plums waiting to be cooked off.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lovely peaches, that’s a nice haul! Indeed, God is very good and gives us his blessings.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother here is a picture of the leaves on the wild plums. They look kinda like hackberry leaves.

E3A2D50A-D3D1-438E-8349-CE80B0F48BAC.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have canned 14 quarts of juice. I have 3/4 of a gallon in the refrigerator. We picked plums Sunday and today. One patch is done, but two patches still have plums to ripen. I will have some to cook tomorrow and juice. They seem to be an on/off bearer, so getting all this juice is great.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have you used Pomona's pectin? That relies on calcium to cause the set. A little packet of calcium is included in every package. Using Pomona's is almost as easy as making jello, and you do not have to use ANY sugar, if that is what you want to do!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is wild plum picking time again! The county mowed all the tree branches back on the county roads, which was a good thing. A tractor goes down the road, with an extended arm, bush hog that can mow vertically. Branches scraped the sides of vehicles when two vehicles met in a lot of places. BUT- there went a couple of picking places. And a vacant lot sold, the plum grove on it was bulldozed. :hit:barnie:he:smack

We have a neighbor, George, that is an old man, never married, living in the house that his grandfather built. He has cows on his land. In the fencerow on the road, are some good sized wild plum trees, he lets us pick the plums. We give him wild plum jelly and he is thrilled. He went and flagged down the county tractor and told the operator NOT to mow his plums! He hung red flags on them and the tractor passed them by. :lol: So that is where we are picking.

I just made a batch of jam, I used the low sugar pectin. The jam came out sweet, with a tart after taste. Dang! That is good!

:) somehow I can taste that plum jam over here.