Wildcraft ? Wild Raspberry leaf tea

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I gathered wild red raspberry leaves for tea this summer. I also have a huge jar of domestic RRLT.
I noticed that they smell completely different from each other.
Any ideas on this?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:idunno Are your leaves dried? Did you gather them before the canes flowered/fruited for maximum potency? Does your commercial tea have other ingredients in the list?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
moolie said:
:idunno Are your leaves dried? Did you gather them before the canes flowered/fruited for maximum potency? Does your commercial tea have other ingredients in the list?
I gathered them later. Not worried about the potency right now, as much as processing through making the stuff. Next year we plan on going to a massive wild raspberry patch to gather leaves for the year.
The commercial tea is from Mountain Rose Herbs, and it has no added ingredients.

ETA yes, they are dried.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Only one thought comes to mind. Wild plants don't always have the soil nutrition and watering that domesticated plants do. I've noticed that while I don't get as many or as big a Black raspberries from the wild areas of my yard as the ones that I transplanted into a bed, the flavor is much more intense. Like with herbs-most of the thyme's and oregano's that are the most fragrant/flavorful are the ones that are growing wild in soil that is not as nutritious as the soil in my beds. They are also better tasting where they are more stressed.
Hot peppers will also be much hotter if the plants are stressed and left dryer. If I want milder peppers I often watered every day for a week before picking. the moisture kinda dilutes the hot.
Does that make sense?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Only one thought comes to mind. Wild plants don't always have the soil nutrition and watering that domesticated plants do. I've noticed that while I don't get as many or as big a Black raspberries from the wild areas of my yard as the ones that I transplanted into a bed, the flavor is much more intense. Like with herbs-most of the thyme's and oregano's that are the most fragrant/flavorful are the ones that are growing wild in soil that is not as nutritious as the soil in my beds. They are also better tasting where they are more stressed.
Hot peppers will also be much hotter if the plants are stressed and left dryer. If I want milder peppers I often watered every day for a week before picking. the moisture kinda dilutes the hot.
Does that make sense?
Yes, thank you!
I am looking forward to my first cup of the wild tea.
After that, since I know its lower potency, I plan to mix it in with the other.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It seems to me, that I have read (somewhere) that the leaves of raspberry plants are toxic... and that you should only use them fresh. I really wanted to try raspberry leaf tea- but I made myself nervous!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Lesa said:
It seems to me, that I have read (somewhere) that the leaves of raspberry plants are toxic... and that you should only use them fresh. I really wanted to try raspberry leaf tea- but I made myself nervous!
Not a chance are they toxic. Its one of the best teas a woman can drink for her endocrine system and uterus, especially before and during pregnancy. You will here professionals hollering about it causing miscarriage, but there is no evidence of this ever happening.
It strengthens and tones the uterus during pregnancy, to the point that it usually provides very short labors.