window cleaner

mullers3acers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Could you help? I need a homemade recipe for window cleaner money is tight and need to finish cleaning my windows.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
m3a,
I have never made homemade glass cleaner, I have just stretched what I had. I did that by adding shampoo (for the accumulated grease on glass) vinegar (not sure why, it just works lol) goes into the glass cleaner. I put it on the glass, smear it around with a clean cloth (no fabric softener or softener sheets) then squeegee it off. I just continue to use the wet cloth for all the windows that way you dont have to use as much window cleaner either. Good luck. Maybe someone else will have a recipe.

WELCOME TO SS !!!!!!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
My wife just uses white vinegar and water. She mixes at a 50/50 ratio, which is a bit too strong because of the vinegar smell. But she makes it stronger because the bottom of some of our windows are only about 10 inches from the floor, and the dogs are always pressing their noses against them and dirtying them up. The vinegar helps keep their noses off of the glass (for a little while, anyway).

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are several home made recipes out there.
* 1 cup water
* 1 cup rubbing alcohol
* 1 tablespoon ammonia

Use Squeegee and Cleaning Cloths this is streak free
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
another
* 1 cup white vinegar
* 3 cups water
and another
* 2 cups water
* 1 cup clear rubbing alcohol
* 2 tablespoons non-sudsing ammonia

Mix well in a squirt bottle.
and another
* 3 tablespoons ammonia
* 1 tablespoon white vinegar
* 3/4 cup water
* 2 drops blue food coloring

Mix all ingredients in order into a spray bottle

--------------------------------------------------------------------
As you can see they all pretty much use the same ingredients :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I use the vinegar and water too- it works really well and is so cheap. The smell disappears fast so is not really a problem. I think that a squeege and rag is great for removing excess.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I use vinegar & water, too and clean with newspaper. Not the gloss inserts, though. I don't think they clean as well.

Helena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
For windows, mirrors, counters, faucets, etc., I use tap water, white vinegar and a bit of dishwashing liquid. I used Seventh Generation, scent-free. About half a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid in one quart of vinegar-water. I use stronger vinegar for more disinfecting power, and weaker when I'm just wiping things.

For cleaning things outside, or for streak-free, I use one of the recipes including ammonia. I don't use ammonia inside, as I don't want to breathe it.

I use cotton rags inside, and paper towels on the car windows.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
newspaper (b/w only) works well, with plain warm water or water with some vinegar in it, or straight vinegar. I don't know what it is about the newspaper, but does a good job. Can still recycle or compost afterwards :)

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
also if you use paper towels for window washing, unless coming up extremely dirty....you can re-use
I did.

a couple of thing I wipe down before the "big grime" and if clean, I would re-use the towels....just let dry from the cleaner and re-use. heck 2-3 uses is better than one!!!:)
little things make a difference! :)

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
vinegar and water and wipe with newspaper instead of paper towel, theres something in the ink that keeps the dust from sticking and the window from streaking