Winter~Are you ready? It's coming!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
:gig

Bee trust me it doesn't! I will put money down that 5 days of rain will amount to a whopping 2 inches. Just wait and see. :rolleyes:

Quail trust me I wanted to smack that weatherman for being such an idiot!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I refused to read this thread because I preferred to stay in denial. We had record warm temps a couple of days ago.

Now it is snowing. Wet, icky snow. Not light, fluffy, sparkly, beautiful snow. Pain in the butt, get all wet and cold, turns into mud snow. In fact, I keep typing snot instead of snow, three times in a row! :rolleyes:

So today I ordered more hay, and cleaned the entire barn and bedded it...the hens and turkeys with more shavings, and the goats with a thick, thick layer of shavings with a foot or more of oat straw on top. That is it for big cleaning until spring.....just spot cleaning and adding more bedding on top to keep them high off the frozen ground. Last year I put three feet of dry leaves in the barn and coop, this year it didn't stop raining long enough to gather usable leaves that wouldn't...or hadn't already.....get/gotten moldy.

Then I scraped up the mucky area in front of the door where everyone poops, (I was waiting for it to dry a bit....of course not!) and went way out back and got some loads of dirt in the wheelbarrow to fill in the areas in the kidding stall that the chickens had excavated from the outside and bedding was falling out.

Fixed a broken fire brick and got the stove going again. All the wood is stacked and covered with tarps. I'm ready! Bring it on! :cool:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think winter has arrived for us....

As a native Californian I'm still adjusting to our Washington winters despite being here 12 years. I do not miss SC however, I really wanted to have seasons and adore having spring, summer and fall....

I just hate winter. We do get snow but mostly cold rain.

Last year we moved up here to Dunegan Mountain and had our first real snow. Wouldn't you know, it was a record year and we had FOUR feet! Roofs caved in on our neighbors barns, we were trapped in our house and missed our family Christmas celebration and eight foot icicles grew on the drip side of our house!
It was quite an introduction to winter and I don't know that I'm quite ready to endure it again. I get cold really easily and fell like I never get warm.
I also commute to work so I leave in the dark and come home in the dark which really is not my favorite.
Lucky for us the real real cold time only lasts about two months or less so at least we can look forward to a warming trend and just hunker down for awhile. And it is very pretty.

We are going into our first winter with chickens and goats so we will just have to see how we like hauling water!