Winter cover question

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have about 9 gallons of winter wheat seeds that was harvested late this spring. I was thinking when the garden is done, clean it off, till and sow winter wheat seeds for ground cover. I would move chickens and turkeys in there this spring and they could have their way with the wheat all spring and summer long.

Hard red winter wheat off the combine.
IMG_20210916_194043949.jpg

What's your thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I got the chicken garden fenced in, it's 112 foot by 106 foot or about 1/4 acre. its split down the middle for two 106 by 56 or about an 1/8 acre each. This way I can have a 50 by 100 foot garden with 3 ft on the row ends to turn around in. I'm going to build a 8x16 coop outside of the fence and at the head of the chicken garden. It'll have two chicken doors that way I can rotate chickens and garden every year. Something like these internet images. Hopefully it all works out well.
download.jpeg
hredirect2.gif

My neighbor helped me build the fence. I asked him if he would, to teach me. Working with him was truly an awesome experience. I like learning from old timers, those who have been there done that many times. Books and videos are OK but nothing replaces blood sweat and tears hands on question and answer as your doing it learning (at least for me). Yes I did shed a few tears from sweat running down my forehead into my eyes and ofcourse I bled... I would say my neighbor built a few fences before, just a few. He even showed me how to hammer stretch, short sections. The hardest part was swinging 3lb sledge hammer to drive 6ga stables into oak railroad ties.

BTW who ever invented these dare Lock Jawz spring steel fence clips, desires the nobel peace prize. My neighbor never seen them before and said wow these clips are amazing, install by hand and hold better than the old U style. Me, I don't just don't know any better. I'll take him at his word.
3801274986ec6fecf74d20129cd5e64679ef10e0_70040831.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited: