Winter Predications

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What wild wives tales do you have in your area for predicting winter.

Where I am if the big wooly catepillars are tan, then a light winter, if they are 1/2 tan and 1/2 black, then a medium winter, and if the catepillar is totally black.....a bad winter.

I love the old wives tales for the area.

What "critter" or plant predications are in your area for showing what winter will be like?

just interesting to hear the different tales
:)

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My grandmama always told us you could watch the Squirrels, if they were gathering nuts in a hurry we were in for a bad winter. She also said if they are gathering leaves we were in for a cold snap. I have seen them running up the trees with leaves in their mouths to line their nest and sure enough we would get really cold.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If hornets nests are built low, easy winter, built high, deep snows.

If a cricket sings in the house in August, bad winter.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thick skins on potatoes and onions, mean harsh winter. If thats the case, then we will have a mild winter--b/c I just bought a 50# bag of potatoes and the skins are thin.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If a cricket sings in the house in August, bad winter.

Then we are in trouble here in Minnesota because for some reason we had many crickets inside this August!! I thought the boys were leaving the basement sceen door open!! Oh-no! :lol:

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How about crickets in the car? This year I am loaded with crickets around the yard, and somehow they got in my car, chirp chirp all the way to the gas station....

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was told that if the fruit trees are producing an abundance of fruit, then we are in for a rough winter. If that's the case we are gonna be snowed in cause all the fruit trees I've seen are almost dragging the ground around here.

Bandana

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
When I lived in Colorado, most folks referred to the cicadas as locusts. Wow, cicadas can be loud. The saying was, that "when the locusts go ta screechin', it's 6 weeks 'til winter." They were usually right. Don't know what the saying is here. I should ask around the senior center when I take my mother there.