Winter Projects

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne,

I wish you lived closer...we've got 17 acres of hardwood kindling and larger down limbs/trees that I'd gladly let you have! :D

It sounded like an easy feat to just start dragging it from the woods to our clearing BUT every time the wind blows and more "hang-nails" (as in they're hanging in the tree still, just waiting to nail me!) come down, I end up further behind and can't tell that I'd done any clean up. Thinking about just going a head and building massive amounts of hugelkulturs out in the woods...can't be any harder than trying to drag all the stuff here to the clearing!

We'd like to get a small wood shed built to keep the firewood dry. Nothing like trying to burn wet wood and enjoy yourself out at the fire pit! :rolleyes: We just need the nice weather to coincide with Doc's days off from work! :gig

Another project is getting more raised beds built...I've got 3 pounds of Sunchokes coming and have no idea what I'm going to do with them at this point in time! :idunno

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ha! I finally got a couple coats of paint on everything in the library. I still have some accent painting to do on the plaster stenciling, but it's not much. DH and DS#1 worked on hanging drywall in the short hallway and the arch doorway on one end.

Best thing is that we finally reached an agreement on what's going to happen in the kitchen! :weee He's agreed to make the cabinets. But he's going to finish up all these small areas that need drywall, or the round corner bead, arch framing, etc first. :/

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm hoping we can finish the barn. We got all the poles in the the ground several months ago, but DH was working 80-90 hours a week all summer/fall and the last thing he wanted to do when he got home was work on my honey-do list :lol: He did get the middle beam up last week with the help of his BIL, it truly was an all day process getting that 40' steel beam on top of the 20' poles. The side beams shouldn't be as difficult as the poles are only 15' and our backhoe can reach high enough to set the beam on them easily. The kids and I are going to be busy redoing the chicken coop. I want to build some new roosts and build 2 more separate and smaller breeding pens.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lets see...things id like to get done before the end of march

outdoors:
build at least 2 rabbit hutches and 2 rabbit pens
built a goat shelter with a movable pen
build (or fix the existing shed) to use as a chicken coop
build at least 4 rasied beds for a sqft garden in the spring
expand the dogs fenced in area

indoors:
paint my bedroom
paint the guestroom
do the kitchen (this is a big job as it needs a new window new backdoor new flooring, some kind of pull outs/shelving in the bottom cabinates and paint
do the bathroom (also a larger job as this room needs the back tile board ripping out and ive got a feeling all the drywall behind the tub needs replacing, tile around the tub, insatal a glass shower door and replace the existing sink with a vanity...and paint lol.

deifnatly lots to keep me busy as long as the weather co=opeartes...now if i could just get the bank account to co-operate too! lol

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Guess what! The house clears probate Jan. 9th (crossed fingers). Then I can start lots of projects!!!!!!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okay...I'll bite. We are still hacking our way through lots of "to-do's"...the latest one was felling the rotting hickory tree by the driveway. We did that 3 weeks ago.

3884_hickory_down.jpg

3884_close_call.jpg

3884_saddle_1.jpg

3884_rotten_tree.jpg

For obvious reasons, it had to come down. there are several trees on the property that have been damaged by previous owners, and need felled. This one was just a bad situation waiting to happen. Next to the storefront building, at the drive, power lines too close, dead tree.

Now that is is down, it can lie there all winter for all we care. :lol: No, my job is toclean up the little branches. DH good friend, he gets the 1" size limbs for his smoker. It's a good tree, lieing on the ground.

As for the other chores, I have this winter to get my store front business ready to open by spring. There is so very much to do, and ...make things to sell. I plan on doing alterations as the main thing, and selling some small handcrafted items in the boutique side. I will do those while waiting for DH to make my countertops and base cabinets. I will also be teaching myself to make soap. That will be a long term project, as I cannot sell them for a while.

We live pretty far out of the beaten path. But we get alot of traffic by here daily, and the fact that the place was once a store, not too long ago, the locals know where it is.

We have many other "to do" lists. It's jus a matter of deciding which ones to tackle on a daily basis.