Winter Projects

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This winter will be 13 credits in school, work and hopefully learning how to quilt!!!! I have wanted to learned forever and am still battling to learn how to use the stupid demon-possessed sewing machine >.< Also on the "honey do list" is shelving in the upstairs that we don't use to store everything I'm learning to make here! My first "goal" is to make the window quilts to help cut down on our heating bill. On the farm front, we will be warming up the incubators shortly and breeding the rabbits for Easter while building a brooder out of a metal frame that was used for ship a machine to my other halves work. Lots going on, list seems to always keep growing instead of getting smaller ... I think it's in cohoots with the laundry that keeps multiplying.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
that house is going to be super unique!

one side of the kitchen area wall is rounded? that sounds like a carpentry nightmare! Like it has a bay window type rounded wall? I can't picture that for some reason.

Any pics hanging around? I love seeing pics of renovations etc.
Round probably wasn't the right word to use. The corners of that side of the room are lopped off, creating 45 degree angles instead of standard L shapes at each corner.

One of these days I'll get some shots of the 'before'...and hopefully, eventually...some 'after' shots, too! :D

Windyhill, I LOVE to quilt! I hand quilted for years. If you're trying to quilt on a sewing machine, that's an entirely different matter though.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, prior to my truck wreck tightening my already tight budget, I planned to empty one room at a time, sand down the hardwood floor in it with a power sander, and polyurethane my floors. We have mild spells when the windows could be open for 24 hours and the stove is not needed. I am NOT hand sanding these floors. Did that in the 80's, I was younger, had young kids, had more time.

Kitchen drawers need to go where my old range was, I can build them, then build a cabinet face cut out to hold them, frame it in and finally be ready for new countertop.

I'm quilting for christmas to empty the fabric bins stacked around my house. Got one partway done for one daughter. A denim camping quilt, tough, no batt, so not too hot, not too cold. I love unbatted quilts, just backed with a sheet and tied off, or machine stitched through both layers.

Need to insulate the pipes under the house today, my rib isn't cracked, finally got x-rays wednesday, just muscles pulled that the floating rib attaches to, and some invisible bruising.

And take the chainsaw out back and cut and stack more firewood.

Gypsi

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How are you feeling Gypsi?

hurt ribs and chainsaw/firewood almost don't belong in the same paragraph!

Are you healing up?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
How are you feeling Gypsi?

hurt ribs and chainsaw/firewood almost don't belong in the same paragraph!

Are you healing up?
Ya, really. I'm starting to ache just thinking about it.

I suppose resting isn't possible????

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well we only have a few small chores for this winter:
first some interior painting-our bedroom and masterbath(I hate painting)

This summer my DH got a bunch of pallets from work, I googled recycle projects for pallets, and there are plans for some really neat outdoor benchs sooooo gonna try our hand at that.
Need to build a disbudding box.
Maybe do some sewing(been saying that for a few winters)
Want to sew new curtains and shower curtians for bathroom.

Thats all I have planned, sure more stuff will come up.not saying it will get done, but it will be put on the "list"/

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hmmmm...

1. Figure out how to get certified organic. This probably mainly means mapping out all my vegetable gardens and figuring out a tracking system.
2. Deep clean the house.
3. Catch up on organizing some photos.
4. Weave baskets.
5. Do a mountain of DVD watching and reading for foster care credits.
6. Do another mountain of reading for pleasure :)
7. Play with the kids.
8. Catch up with friends and family.
9. Deep clean the chicken barn.
10. Clean out and reorganize freezers.
11. Take a vacation or a couple mini vacations!!
12. Stock up on soap and lip balms.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gals I checked into how to get organic certified also. It was a nightmare. I had to have no 'possibly' contaminated 'separate only' water supply and alot more. Truly it stopped me in my tracks. I hope your process is way easier!!

and to 'deep' clean anything is alot of work!! :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
The process really floored me. I have a college education and have never met something I couldn't figure out yet in life (truly not bragging, just giving perspective), so it was shocking to be completely overwhelmed and near tears every time I tried to move forward in the process. Hoping for lots of calm time on winter nights to get help and get it figured out in advance.

When people tell me that organic certification "has no teeth," I want to freak out on them and explain exactly how difficult it actually is!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is true for the smaller organic guy.
the regulations are insanity. I was stopped at the water supply. And then little things like 'no treated lumber of any kind' within 200 ft of any ground. AND the ground itself. No chemicals within X years....blah blah

I couldn't do it.

But the big corps. They can literally have a dedicated water supply for 2,000 acres of fields and say organic and easily be certified.

But of course they deserve that certification.

the small guy is hard pressed to handle the restrictions and regs of it.

believe me I wanted to go that way big time. I couldn't do it. And it isn't just that you are smart (cause I know you are ;) ) it is trying to comply all the time within those state/govt rules that nail ya.