Winter reading and more

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Due to my seasonal work I usually get 3-5 months off of work a yr. The most in Jan to Marchish. The rest fo the yr s work and preparing for my time off. SO I buy a lot of books and things. This season has been no different. Reading a 300 pg book in 2 to 3 days and moving on to the next. My current book is Possum Living by Dolly Freed. If anyone has heard of this book feel free to comment on it. If you haven't I highly recommend it. What a perspective on Back to Basics. It is written in the 70's but the whole why we do this is timeless. Will comment more as others join the thread. Thank you

Today I am a possum. :)

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That sounds like an interesting book,.:) Right now I am reading " Home-Steading: How to Find Independence on the Land" by Gene Logsdon. It too was written in the 70's. It has a lot of good info in it. I like reading older books and getting that "old" information that some folks think is outdated. Sometimes it can be very useful,..;) Also reading "Frugal Luxeries" by Tracey McBride,..for about the 100th time actually. It is one of those books everytime you read it, something new pops out at you. Very good book for getting down to the basics. Last but not least I am reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett,....pure entertainment,....midevil fiction,..gotta love it! :D I read many books at one time,....multitasker,..:p

Collector

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My job is also quite seasonal, so I read alot of books and mags that I don't have time to read during the work year. I am currently reading, mini farming self sufficiency on 1/4 acre by Brett Markham. Next I am going to read The self sufficient life and how to live it, by John Seymour. Also I am catching up on back issues of Outdoor Life, Field and stream, and American hunter. I read at night, one of the perks of insomnia LOL.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading...

Well, see my signature line and avatar. :D

I'm loving Three Cups of Tea. What a sweet and heroic human being. Very inspiring.

I'm also reading three or four other books at the moment that I will list when I have more time.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
My current book is Possum Living by Dolly Freed. If anyone has heard of this book feel free to comment on it.
Here is a thread discussing it, including a link to a free online full-text copy (edited to correct: apparently not anymore, sorry... but at least there's peoples' discussing it) :

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1474&p=1

It is certainly, um, interestingly different :)

Pat

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried the link to the book and can't get it to work. :( I really want to read this book after I done some research on it,...she sounds like she would be a hoot!I found the book on Amazon,..I will purchase it as soon as I can rustle up some more funds,...my car managed to take all my funds today,..water pump and timing belt..:rant It will be possum living here for awhile. :D

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I tried the link to the book and can't get it to work. :( I really want to read this book after I done some research on it,...she sounds like she would be a hoot!I found the book on Amazon,..I will purchase it as soon as I can rustle up some more funds,...my car managed to take all my funds today,..water pump and timing belt..:rant It will be possum living here for awhile. :D
I love the thinking and her view on life. I snagged a copy ff ebay for 9.00 shipped. 1978 copy. I am an original type of guy. :) Good lick with the car probs. Always when you don't need it to happen .

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of about 10 books, the bible, sewing books, SS books, food preservation books, etc.