Winter sowing?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's not too late for winter sowing in WI. You can direct sow until snow falls or set containers out until end of January. :)
What? I have never tried. I am on the search for seeds.....I thought after first frost it was done. I just turned and covered 3 plots....guess they are opening back up. lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What? I have never tried. I am on the search for seeds.....I thought after first frost it was done. I just turned and covered 3 plots....guess they are opening back up. lol
Yep, don't plant until a while after frost to make sure the seeds stay dormant. If there is a warm spell and they start to germinate before winter it won't work. If they stay dormant through winter, they'll sprout in early spring when conditions are right.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Some seed companies haven't restocked/recovered from last year's increased demand yet. I was able to get seed from Urban Farmer and Baker Creek. I usually order seed in December, but started early because consumer demand is unpredictable. If people start worrying about shortages and inflation they're going to buy more garden seed than usual.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My tepary beans did very well; first time I've been able to get dried beans out of our garden. I got about a quart out of a 3x9' patch, and there were still green ones and even a few flowers when the frost finally hit. Planning on cooking some soon, to make sure we like the taste; if we do, I'll be expanding to bigger/more plots next spring

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some seed companies haven't restocked/recovered from last year's increased demand yet. I was able to get seed from Urban Farmer and Baker Creek. I usually order seed in December, but started early because consumer demand is unpredictable. If people start worrying about shortages and inflation they're going to buy more garden seed than usual.
I get most of my stuff from Baker Creek--thanks for the heads up. Ordering today.

Edit--I have some carrots, cukes, squash, and onions coming! that will be a good start. Thanks again

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My tepary beans did very well; first time I've been able to get dried beans out of our garden. I got about a quart out of a 3x9' patch, and there were still green ones and even a few flowers when the frost finally hit. Planning on cooking some soon, to make sure we like the taste; if we do, I'll be expanding to bigger/more plots next spring
I got dried beans for the first time this year as well. I only got a half pint but better than nothing!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got dried beans for the first time this year as well. I only got a half pint but better than nothing!

if you are looking for short season dry beans there are several that work well for me plus i am always breeding more to try out too. :) are you in the USoA? if so PM me after the first of the year and i'll get a selection for you set up to mail out for next season. also for beans in general if you really like beans join up on TEG and follow the bean threads. we have a lot of people there who grow a lot of beans. :) (enabler moi? >:) )

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
if you are looking for short season dry beans there are several that work well for me plus i am always breeding more to try out too. :) are you in the USoA? if so PM me after the first of the year and i'll get a selection for you set up to mail out for next season. also for beans in general if you really like beans join up on TEG and follow the bean threads. we have a lot of people there who grow a lot of beans. :) (enabler moi? >:) )
I am in the USoA---pretty close to you actually in WI! I will reach out for sure-thanks for the offer. I LOVE LOVE LOVE beans.